Rabies in village behind Wat Tam Ma Rong

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
dogsdinner

Rabies in village behind Wat Tam Ma Rong

Post by dogsdinner » 29 Mar 2019 16:11

A cat died this week and it's body was sent to the Livestock Dept in Ratchaburi where the autopsy showed it had rabies. The local Livestock Department will start vaccinating all dogs and cats one kilometer from the village tomorrow. It will then commence to a radius of 5 kilometers. I don't know if they will have a car announcing this but in any event it will be in Thai.
I was informed 2 days ago because this village is close to Wat Tam Ma Rong where we care for some 70 dogs. Happily all these dogs are fully vaccinated but we will be giving boosters to those vaccinated 6 months ago. Our Rescue Centre will also falls within the 5 kilometer radius where all the dogs are also fully vaccinated.
I am not sure if Suan Luang will fall within the 5 kilometer radius but in any event I recommend you get your pet vaccinated against rabies if it hasn't already been done.
Pong Prasart Orbator should have free rabies vaccines if it doesn't you should go to The Amphur. I have to add that last year when there was a national rabies scare the local Livestock Dept and the Orbator gave out few rabies vaccinations because they only ordered a few. We know rabies vaccines were difficult to get hold of because of the national scare. If they had planned well they could have given out enough rabies vaccinations for all pet owners in Pong Prasart to vaccinate them. Sadly now we have this situation.
The Land Department has acted quickly and the outbreak should be contained easily so please don't panic. However I recommend you make sure you have up to date rabies vaccinations and boosters. I also suggest you keep away from Wat Tam Ra Rong area for a few weeks.
The dogs at the Temple are being herded into several pens not because of the rabies situation but because the Head of our Province will be arriving next week to collect holy water from the Temple to take to Bangkok. He and his minions don't want to see any dogs!
I've attached the report from the Livestock Department who carried out the autopsy. It's in Thai and I can't get a translations for a few days but it confirms the cat died from rabies and it was owned by the Puyai Baan.
Attachments
55786332_952923008236405_1856931249319313408_n.jpg
Rabies autopsy report

dogsdinner

Re: Rabies in village behind Wat Tam Ma Rong

Post by dogsdinner » 16 Apr 2019 19:50

A quick update for those interested'
WE'RE HAPPY TO REPORT THAT THE LIVESTOCK DEPARTMENT (DLD) IN BANG SAPHAN HAS CONTAINED THE ONE RABIES CAT DEATH FROM BECOMING A MAJOR OUTBREAK.This is an example of successful rabies management in Thailand!

Two weeks ago, an owned cat was sadly diagnosed with rabies. It lived in a village behind the temple where we've been caring for the dogs for 11 years.
The DLD swiftly and effectively managed the situation through rapid re-vaccination and close monitoring of all animals in the area. No removal of animals, unnecessary culling, and no further deaths from rabies!
We've been working for years to ensure all the dogs in the Temple are vaccinated and protected against this disease. We also undertook an immediate re-vaccination program of all the Temple dogs and the dogs at our Centre about 3 ks away.
We believe our quick response also helped the containment of this disease. All the animals are safe and so are you.