Visiting Mid August -- Want to talk to Locals...Beers on me!

New to Bangsaphan or already resident? Doesn't matter, this is the place for introductions!
cjsiam

Visiting Mid August -- Want to talk to Locals...Beers on me!

Post by cjsiam » 03 Aug 2018 01:34

So, will be visiting for a week in mid August and am looking for suggestions for venues to eat/drink. And I would be delighted to buy a beer, or two, for any locals in area who'd like to come out for afternoon/evening to discourse on subjects local and far...

Will be moving into area in a few years and setting up household and stuff in the mean time.

Staying at Italay, near Coral.

Appreciate any suggestions on good places to eat, drink, meet locals. And hope to pick up some trash along the beach with like minded. (is country road open--dang they have good pictures....but then lunch is late today...)

Do drop me a note. cjsiam@msn.com
Craig

buksida

Re: Visiting Mid August -- Want to talk to Locals...Beers on me!

Post by buksida » 03 Aug 2018 14:13

Welcome to BS!.

Unfortunately August is smack in the middle of low season for both tourists and expats. Many of the bars and restaurants are closed (including Country Road) due to the lack of customers so the only place you'll probably find the locals is at Montri's Coco Bar in the afternoons/early evenings.

Enjoy!

migrant

Post by migrant » 04 Aug 2018 05:45

Sounds like you've been here before! Why Not and Blue Bar are open, but as mentioned, very slow.

The local restaurants mainly are open although Sabai sabai is closed and Leks is also (for a little longer).

Being slow season all places do not seem to mind just closing without notifying people too.

As Buksida said Montri's is probably the biggest assembly, maybe followed by Trash Heroes on Monday mornings!!

Still a great place!

cjsiam

Post by cjsiam » 04 Aug 2018 13:07

I hear there is a marathon going on during the time I'm coming...is that going to open some spots?

buksida

Post by buksida » 04 Aug 2018 14:04

These types of events are usually only advertised on Thai facebook groups and are targeted at Thais. There was one in Ban Krut last month.

The western oriented bars and restaurants only open in high season now as low has become so desolate in terms of foreign tourism. A perfect time if you enjoy an empty beach though!

cjsiam

Post by cjsiam » 16 Aug 2018 14:14

Well, ensconsed at Italay...and quiet is a good description. Anyone looking for conversation and a drink..I'm the tall farang... hope to meet some of you, Monday at least. Between new restaurant and Coral, there are options!
Family joins me Friday night late...so company welcome :)....CJ

buksida

Post by buksida » 17 Aug 2018 14:35

Head down to Montri's Coco bar, the locals don't go to iTalay!

cjsiam

Post by cjsiam » 18 Aug 2018 06:40

Absolutely did. Enjoyed Why Not as well. Met multiple, great chat. Interesting people make interesting life choices to end up in nice places. Appreciate the pointers.

Will say the prices at the new ITalay Rest. Are pretty reasonable. Mostly local Thai crowd it's true. Pad thai was great.

buksida

Post by buksida » 18 Aug 2018 14:03

Things should pick up if you're about later in the year, Country Road, Sabai Sabai, Biw Beam and Lek's should all be open by then.

cjsiam

Post by cjsiam » 31 Aug 2018 23:37

Wanted to say thank you to all the people I got to meet at bars, and on the Beach, for the conversations and information about the area. Done everything to cause me to want to get through these years quickly, so we can get over there. Look forward to seeing some of you again during the next visit. Hopefully during a time when more of the local eateries are open! All the best.
cj:)