Abandoned dogs in Bangsaphan

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
dogsdinner

Abandoned dogs in Bangsaphan

Post by dogsdinner » 18 Oct 2013 18:00

Some people should be hung from the highest tree swarming with large biting red ants. This morning we found this beautiful young dog probably about 8 months tied to a tree on the beach hear our house. The bastard who did this did think to leave some water ...in an unopened bottle.. I'm surprised the idiot didn't leave a glass aswell for the dog to pour the water into. It must have been a European. The dog is so friendly, wears a collar with the Union Jack which also says UK so that doesn't leave much to the imagination, walks on a lead, is in great condition and I think she is neutered. No Thai would care for a dog like that and if they did they certainly wouldn't leave it tied to a tree on the beach. The dog is so trusting she waited for her owner to return and didn't move from the place she was tied. If anyone recognizes this dog and knows who the owner is please contact me. Even better is someone would like to adopt this beautiful young dog phone me on 089.0283787.

Anyone who responds to this post please use your brain before pounding the keyboard. Idiot replies like the one I got about the rescued puppies aren't even worth reading. Thank you for the sensible replies.
Attachments
bsgdumpedpup3.jpg
bsgdumpedpup3.jpg (101.78 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
bsgdumpedpup2.jpg
bsgdumpedpup2.jpg (115.07 KiB) Viewed 7055 times

bsb

Re: What bastard tied this beautiful dog to a tree on the be

Post by bsb » 18 Oct 2013 19:55

did you ever stop to think that just maybe that "Bastard European" had to leave the town or country and new you would take care of the dog and find it a home.The reason it may have been tied was so it would follow them when they left...and get hit by a car killed, or mangled like so many other dogs.
maybe it is you who should stop and think before you hit the keyboard in anger ..must be that aussie in you

bsb

Post by bsb » 19 Oct 2013 10:23

I owe you an apoligy I was just informed you are actually one of those euro bastards your self or the other side if i fits better

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 19 Oct 2013 22:49

bsb, what is « your purpose » in life ? « Dogsdinner » asked for respondents to « use their brain before pounding the keyboard ». F.y.i., the brain is in the head, not in the gut !

Did you ever stop to think that whatever the nationality or reason the cowardly, irresponsible, dumb and heartless person who left his/her dog tied to a tree with inaccessible water (not « by chance » close to Headrock Dogs) had a moral duty to first try to find a good home for the dog before abandoning her or, in the case of force majeure, at least have the decency to take the dog directly to Headrock Dogs (a dog rescue centre, not a dump at which to offload individuals' own responsibilities) and ask them if they could take yet another dog in exchange for a sizeable donation to at least pay for her keep pending adoption?

Have you ever thought of volunteering to help the few admirable people who, at the cost of their own time and energy, whilst struggling with a chronic lack of funds, rescue the numerous abandoned and abused dogs whose presence in your vicinity clearly inconvenience your impoverished existence? Failing which, it does not take an extraordinary effort to lift one's backside from a bar stool at the “Why Not” bar to put the equivalent cost of every downed beer into Headrock Dogs' donation box.

Instead of attributing to others the “mai pen rai attitude of Thainess which has no bounds … as long as I benefit and it doesn't affect me, mai pen rai”, I suggest you take a look in the mirror, get yourself a worthy purpose, and, along with other resident ex-pats who don't already do so, give something back to the community in which your are a guest.

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 20 Oct 2013 11:48

Well, as a Homo Sapien, though I'm not very proud of my species, I must admit that we show more responsibility than the average dog, at least the male version. They fuck around with whatever females are in heat (what kind of a husband would they make?) and when their girlfriends have babies, what do they do? Take off and find another bitch to 'make love to'. Is that responsible behavior? Does this dog ever stop by with food for his kids, or to play catch with junior, or help mom cope? No, no, and no....And you *like* these animals!

Now you're going to say "it's just an animal, stupid. That's all they're capable of". True. And what I'm saying "We're just animals too", and we're capable of every irresponsibility in the book. Yes, we TRY. We try and try, but like the deadbeat father dog, some of us just can't get it right and never will...You certainly don't blame the dog, so why do you blame the poor idiot human with a missing responsibility gene? Hey, they exist and shit happens!! Please stop beating up on humans, and in particular, the male, and more particularly, the foreign male. Most of us are pretty responsible compared to the average dog.

-- A disgruntled Homo Sapien
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 20 Oct 2013 12:18

>>No Thai would care for a dog like that

Another thing, don't get me started on the way Thais treat dogs. The things I've heard around BS make my hair curl--like a local (Suan Luang) woman leaving 3 dogs to starve to death in her old house when she moved to a new house, because she had no more use for them (she used them for protection in the old place but didn't need them in the new, so she let them starve to death: they faithfully waited for her to return and feed them until they died). Or another BS Thai lady who threw her small dog in a bush for the same reason: she had no more use for it--it didn't fit in with her new lifestyle, it was costing money, so dump it in the waste basket. That seemed to be her thinking...Completely and totally disgusting, and these stories seem to be well known around BS, but I never hear you mention the Thais in your diatribes, only us dumb, crude, and stupid western men, most of whom would be horrified at such casual cruelty.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 20 Oct 2013 21:45

yours Truly. The difference between humans and dogs is that humans are supposed to be capable of reasoning whilst dogs function by an instinct for survival, not by egocentricity and narcissism. Humans can choose to be humane, i.e. benevolent, compassionate, empathetic and responsible, and we have absolutely no excuse to behave otherwise (despite having enough imperfection to get things wrong and a minimum of intelligence to try to put them right), whatever our origin or sex, particularly when, as humans, we all have a duty to protect and nurture all forms of life.

Have you ever bothered to observe the love and dedication of a bitch for her puppies (that is, when a so-called human has not tied the un-suckled pups in a plastic bag and dumped them at the roadside?) and, just like humans, as soon as the pups are old enough to fend for themselves, she lets them get on with their own life! Have you never seen a dog lick the hand that has just beaten him/her; and would you, as a reasoning human, kiss your persecutor? ...

Whilst you describe humans as being more responsible than dogs, you observe, by generalization, the “way Thai people treat dogs”, and I could, alas, add to the horrific stories of their treatment throughout the land, not only at Suan Luang. However, I suggest you re-read “dogsdinner's” protestation and plea above. You appear to have misunderstood “No Thai would care for a dog like that” since “dogsdinner” has highlighted the fact that the dog abandoned on the beach was, in addition to the markings on its collar, healthy and had been well cared for, hence the conclusion that the owner could not have been Thai!

Take a look at Headrock Dogs website for proof of atrocious human behaviour to dogs on the one hand and responsible, compassionate and protective treatment of them on the other and, as a reasoning human, you will hopefully make the right choice, unwind your energy-devoring disgruntlement, and do what YOU can to help alleviate the suffering of the numerous unwanted and abused dogs that are roaming the streets and beaches as a result of human ignorance, egoism and irresponsibility.

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 20 Oct 2013 22:17

dogsdinner. A stupid question perhaps, but have you had any POSITIVE responses to your post?

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 21 Oct 2013 00:28

Sorry, this is really TLTR (too long to read), but I got carried away...
To take your points one by one:

>>humans are supposed to be capable of reasoning whilst dogs function by an instinct for survival, not by egocentricity and narcissism.

"Supposed" being the operative word: You're making gross generalizations about dogs and humans. In fact dogs can be rather intelligent, can reason, can even be responsible, and humans can be rather stupid, unreasonable, and emotional. And dogs are capable of the same petty emotions that humans are subject to. We've all known crazy dogs, who behavior in very neurotic ways: fearful, aggressive, biting...You'd make excuses for them: "they were warped by their owners". True. And I'd make excuses for my Homo Sapiens. They're capable of being warped as well, and much more than dogs because they have more intelligence and imagination. And warped humans tie dogs to trees and don't come back. No reason you should hate them any more than you hate a dog that bites your child. Most can't help themselves.

>>Humans can choose
You seem to think this is true. Think of all the people you know who lead crazy, fucked up, uncontrolled lives: they're drunk, they get in fights, they're withdrawn, they smoke themselves to death all the while knowning they're doing it...Do they "choose" this? Who would? Mental illness is beyond "choice". It's the emotions that can't be "chosen" or controlled. The same thing mistreated dogs are subject to. There is no "choice" for such people. Sorry, but this is the dreaded Real World.

>>we have absolutely no excuse to behave otherwise
We've got plenty of excuses. Again, many people have been damaged to the point where they have no control over their behavior. This is why the whole field of psychiatry was created--a recognition of this fact. People only have free will to the extent that they have free minds--a mind cluttered with fear, trauma, or cultural crap will not behave in a rational, loving, helpful way, no matter how long you lecture it on its immorality.

>>we all have a duty to protect and nurture all forms of life.
More moralisms. Look around you to see how little we *actually* care. The Earth is dying as we speak, and we've all killed it, by being uncaring, stupid, or just lazy. You're doing your little part with your doggies, but meanwhile Climate Change will exterminate the whole planet in 100 years.

>>Have you ever bothered to observe the love and dedication of a bitch for her puppies
You ascribe human emotions to dogs. Perhaps it's just "instinct". It's like saying "have you ever observed the love of a turtle for her eggs?". I happened to believe, like you do, that it *is* love, and that dogs are high enough up on the food chain to possess it, but don't get all weepy about it. Human mothers (and fathers) usually love their offspring too (at least in the beginning). They're programmed to. Big deal. It's loving them in the long run that counts. Neither dogs or humans are especially good at that.

>>>a so-called human has not tied the un-suckled pups in a plastic bag and dumped them at the roadside?
Have you ever seen the dog 'Bad Boy' casually break the neck of a kitten. Or a cat torture a mouse...What makes you think humans are better? Simply because we're "supposed to be"? And we're the only species that tortures on a grand scale. Look at what's going on right now all over the world. Don't expect much from Homo Sapiens. This is an idealist goal, with merit, but we're far from it.

>>have you never seen a dog lick the hand that has just beaten him/her; and would you, as a reasoning human, kiss your persecutor?
Men and women do this all the time. It's called 'marriage'. :) ...And we have these deviant behaviors called sadism and masochism. You're letting your (puppy) love for these animals get in the way of seeing them as they truly are. "It's impossible to be in love and wise at the same time".

>>“dogsdinner” has highlighted the fact that the dog abandoned on the beach was, in addition to the markings on its collar, healthy and had been well cared for, hence the conclusion that the owner could not have been Thai!

Yes, I read that, and wasn't quite sure what she was trying to say. However 'dogsdinner' has a history of squabbles with farang men in Suan Luang, and I can't help but wonder if the dog stories are sometimes a launching platform to bash farang men, whom she seems to have little affection for. And of course I never hear dog mistreatment stories from her involving Thais, of which there are many. Of course, we farangs have a healthy reticence to criticize Thais publicly.

>>and do what YOU can to help alleviate the suffering of the numerous unwanted and abused dogs that are roaming the streets and beaches as a result of human ignorance, egoism and irresponsibility.

Well...I can tell you, *I* didn't create all these dogs, and neither did my fellow Homo Sapes. The dogs did that all by themselves. And they've left *us* with the problem: a large feral dog population, occasionally biting children, running people off the beach, spreading trash and disease, sometimes spreading a terrible disease called rabies...What would they do if humans weren't here: they'd starve and disease and kill themselves down to manageable limits. In the West, we pay assassins (called 'Dog Catchers') who simply round them all up and kill them (while giving a few away to loving homes in the process). In Thailand, the ordinary citizen is left with the problem. The dogs force this problem on us and we respond according to our resources and personalities: 1) compassionately kill them (I know one Thai guesthouse owner I've heard more than once breaking the necks of a puppy litter at dawn, and then the clunk of a shovel digging a pit), 2) control their numbers (sterilize: as Heike does) and shelter the rest, 3) kill them by neglect (because we've got too much else on our plates already besides feral dogs, thank you!), or 4) be kind while we can and then forget about the problem as soon as we leave (the tourist approach). But don't try to blame the problem on humans. We're the ones who got stuck with the problem because dogs like to fuck...

As for me personally, I'm drastically allergic to them, and have nearly died a few times in their midst. I'm not keen that the few bars where BS social life existed for me have become default animal rescue shelters, effectively ending my public social life here. Perhaps you haven't factored that fact into how much compassion I should have, but then I don't blame you (how could I?). You can't know everything about every human being, and you should keep that in mind when you talk about humans who mistreat dogs. A little Buddhist compassion and understanding for the higher forms of life as well as the lower. Anyway, I can tell you're a good person, compassionate too, but perhaps haven't lived long enough to understand the fallibilities of your own tribe.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

Mr Wu

Post by Mr Wu » 21 Oct 2013 08:47

yoursTruly wrote: Well...I can tell you, *I* didn't create all these dogs, and neither did my fellow Homo Sapes. The dogs did that all by themselves. And they've left *us* with the problem: a large feral dog population, occasionally biting children, running people off the beach, spreading trash and disease, sometimes spreading a terrible disease called rabies...What would they do if humans weren't here: they'd starve and disease and kill themselves down to manageable limits. In the West, we pay assassins (called 'Dog Catchers') who simply round them all up and kill them (while giving a few away to loving homes in the process). In Thailand, the ordinary citizen is left with the problem. The dogs force this problem on us and we respond according to our resources and personalities: 1) compassionately kill them (I know one Thai guesthouse owner I've heard more than once breaking the necks of a puppy litter at dawn, and then the clunk of a shovel digging a pit), 2) control their numbers (sterilize: as Heike does) and shelter the rest, 3) kill them by neglect (because we've got too much else on our plates already besides feral dogs, thank you!), or 4) be kind while we can and then forget about the problem as soon as we leave (the tourist approach). But don't try to blame the problem on humans. We're the ones who got stuck with the problem because dogs like to fuck...
Well said that man. While the dog in the pic certainly looks nice and friendly - they are not all like that. I wish some one would tie that dangerous bastard at Sangjun resort to a tree. Preferably to one of the higher branches.

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 21 Oct 2013 22:57

Mr Wu wrote:Well said that man. While the dog in the pic certainly looks nice and friendly - they are not all like that. I wish some one would tie that dangerous bastard at Sangjun resort to a tree. Preferably to one of the higher branches.
Yeah, there's a lot of romantic silliness about dogs...I like them personally (even though I'm very allergic), but that's beside the point when they threaten to overrun the world by sheer numbers. In that way they're like humans: lovable as individuals but potentially nasty and dangerous in large groups. And of course large feral dog populations are not good for the dogs either: starvation, aggression, disease. So, since the Thai government isn't interested in dog control, individual people get stuck with the problem and deal with it as best they can. The ladies who rage above should be more tolerant: humans aren't perfect, but most of us try to do the right thing (as we understand it). It's not an easy problem and it's not of our own making.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

bsb

Post by bsb » 22 Oct 2013 05:56

Santi-c FYI you might try to heed your own advice ,dogsdiner is the one beating the keys without thinking ..or am i to assume all europeans are bastards..I hardly believe that as I have some very nice friends from various different countries in europe.
As to my purpose in life ,it is to make myself,my wife and children happy and be a good provider to them and most important not push my hobby or addiction down everyones throat,not everybody feels the need to take care of flea bitten hounds. if you do thats your business,have fun doing it. and by the way I don't sit at why not drinking..not any other bar,so while you are there ,that is assuming you even live here take a look around at all the feral dogs bothering people

waz

Post by waz » 22 Oct 2013 08:12

Also might pay to check the donation box for Headrock Dogs this week .It might be a bit light on after the vitriol you pair have unleashed,and you would wonder why?

bsb

Post by bsb » 22 Oct 2013 09:19

maybe its light and maybe its not,the world is not short on idiots....wanting to save dogs and trees and fish,when I drive around Bang Saphan or any where in Thailand and see starving children in rags, digging in trash for food, its real hard to get in my pocket for some flee biten hounds. How about lets help all the poor inocent uneducated, unfed children in thailand and when everyone feels that is done ,let me know I will be the first in line to donate to the dogs

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 22 Oct 2013 19:35

yoursTruly It's less the length than the content that counts (!!), and I find your post not only interesting but impressive that you should go to such lengths to attempt to justify why some reprehensible human conduct should be acceptable and that of dogs condemned.

Whilst your argument shows that you can think, it does little to prove that you can reason,
particularly in light of your propensity for contradiction.

Where I really question your argument is in your statement “I didn't create all these dogs, and neither did my fellow Homo Sapiens. The dogs did that all by themselves. And they've left 'us' with the problem ...”.

If not by human copulation, how do you explain the ever-increasing human population compared to the finite resources of this world in a global society of man-made exacerbated consumerism and the resulting climate change? Are dogs responsible for a society that reduces people to the condition of slaves and paupers, or animals to that of “stuff”; where man's encroachment on the territory of wildlife is daily creating its extinction; where land, sea and the air we breath are poisoned, pillaged, and used as instruments to satisfy the greed, lust for power, egoism and folly of a certain type of “human” clearly incapable of reasoning? Is that not a problem and the evidence of human irresponsibility?!

To the extent that humans fail to neuter their dogs and assume their responsibility to care for them and their offspring; when parents fail to lead by example and educate their children in the notion of responsibility and empathy not only for their fellow kind but for all life; and when all this fails, state authorities (who cannot ignore the problems excessive dog populations create not only for humans but also for dogs themselves) but neglect to legislate and establish such things as restrictive and punitive regulation, or nation-wide dog neutering and health programmes, the problem has everything to do with Homo Sapiens and little to do with dogs, who are too easily used as a scapegoat in order to numb human guilt and inaction.

Can you, I and we do something about it? Yes, we can. We can start by questioning our own attitudes, motivations and behaviour and asking ourselves “What can I do to try to make things better?”

So you're a farang and an imperfect male – so what? There are worse things in life, like being a female or a dog. Get over it, stop whining, and do something positive to help improve the lot of humans as well as dogs – you might even find that you start liking yourself! Criticising “dogsdinner” (who if anyone in your community is worthy of gratitude and admiration it is she) is not the best way to go about it – supporting her and her tireless efforts is, and I can see no reason why your allergy should preclude empathy or compassion.

There's a Headrock Dogs donation box at “Why Not”, and the monks at the temple, who also do what they can for dogs, are always in need of support – both are Thai – and I'm sure “bsb” would like to find himself a useful “purpose” by putting a generous donation from both you and himself in one of them instead of counting solely on the caring tourists, who you also have the affront to criticise.

Idealist goals do, indeed, have their merit and, yes, we are very far from realising them for many reasons, some of which you evoke, but isn't this precisely why we should continually keep them as our objectives and act in such a way as to at least come close to realising them? You know the story about the butterfly who flaps its wings on one side of the globe and creates a hurricane on the other side of the globe …