Happy New Year from Germany!

New to Bangsaphan or already resident? Doesn't matter, this is the place for introductions!
Karsten

Happy New Year from Germany!

Post by Karsten » 07 Jan 2013 00:43

Gentlefolks,

my name is Karsten and I'm a 57 years old freelancer from Germany. My wife is a few years younger than I and from Singapore.

After ten years of research all over SE asia, we have come to the conclusion that Bang Saphan is the place where we wish to (semi-)retire fairly soon (if y'all will have us). No other place we have seen offers such a wonderful combination of friendly people, lovely beaches, fairly unspoiled landscapes, still-affordable property prices (hopefully!), good infrastructure and laid-back lifestyle.

We'll be coming to Bang Saphan again in mid-March (after our first visit in March 2010) and stay for about two weeks. At that time, we would be very happy to get in touch with a Farang or two who live(s) in Bang Saphan so that we can ask a few questions. I hear the best place for a decent Gin & Tonic is Montri's Coco Bar, is that correct?

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this and all the best for 2013 from Germany!

Cheers,

Karsten

Karsten

Re: Happy New Year from Germany!

Post by Karsten » 07 Jan 2013 00:56

Correction: We'll be coming in mid-February, not mid-March.

Karsten

buksida

Post by buksida » 07 Jan 2013 08:17

Hi Karsten,
Welcome to the forum, yes Montri's bar is where most of the German expats meet up so you will definitely have no trouble finding someone there.

In the meantime feel free to ask away on the forum here if you have any questions.

Karsten

Post by Karsten » 07 Jan 2013 16:05

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to having a drink or two at Montri's, missed it last time.

Meanwhile, I do have a question: Are there any people from Singapore living in or near BS? Actually, I would expect the typical Singaporean to head for Hua Hin with it's condos, golf courses and such, but you never know ...

Thanks, Karsten

jingjo

Post by jingjo » 08 Jan 2013 09:45

Hello Karsten
Montri's Coco bar is " probably the best bar in Thailand " as you will learn if you aquire one of his Tee shirts, but if you want a G&T probably best to take your own gin oh! and your own tonic and if you like ice with it better take that too. However the beer is good and cold as is the beer and also the beer, but if you want to go upmarket you can have a South African chateau de cardboard which IMO is quite a drinkable drop. I'm sure you will enjoy.

Karsten

Post by Karsten » 08 Jan 2013 15:20

jingjo wrote:However the beer is good and cold as is the beer and also the beer, but if you want to go upmarket you can have a South African chateau de cardboard which IMO is quite a drinkable drop. I'm sure you will enjoy.
Wow, that sounds great -- the less choices there are, the easier it is to make up your mind! I'm really looking forward to our upcoming trip, I think we're planning to arrive in Bang Saphan on Feb 16 or 17, and I'll be sure to show up at Montri's asap.

So long,

Karsten

buksida

Post by buksida » 09 Jan 2013 08:02

jingjo wrote:but if you want to go upmarket you can have a South African chateau de cardboard
:lol: :lol: :lol: like it!