What about the fire coal project in Ban krut ?

Discussion on accommodation, restaurants, and attractions in neighbouring Ban Krut.
SPONSORS: Ban Krut Info
APACHE387

What about the fire coal project in Ban krut ?

Post by APACHE387 » 14 Mar 2009 05:27

Hi evryone, I'm Jean a french 50 old man and my thai wife, owner of a land in Ban-krut and planing to live there from 2009's end.
I learnt on the web the fight between local from Ban-krut and the big coal plant project, generation of a real pollution of air and water is waited in this case.
Is someone knowing the actuallity about that ?

I'm glad to have such a good media as this forum as an excellent communication tool beetween all the expats and all people, thants to the originator team.
Sorry for my english, JEAN.

The Family

Post by The Family » 18 Mar 2009 11:10

It's the first we've heard of it, but then we are in BS. So we made a few phone calls to the locals in Ban Krut;

We think you must be talking about the 'Steel Works'. If so, Yes! as far as we know this project is going ahead, but, maybe on a go slow, affected by the world recession like everything else. There are rumers of layoffs in the local steel industry.

Doe's anyone else out there know more of what's going on? :?:

bajm

Post by bajm » 18 Mar 2009 14:40

Hello Jean,

I think you are referring to plans for a coal fired electricity plant, which was supposed to be built in Ban Krut, about 3 km’s north of Kao Tong Chai. These plans originated from 1996 and if I am informed correctly, these plans were rejected by the Thai Government in 2005, thanks to efforts from the local villagers and Greenpeace.

“The familyâ€

APACHE387

Bo Nok and Ban Krut Power Plants

Post by APACHE387 » 19 Mar 2009 20:39

Dear all, bonjour,

Thank you for your answers, the project I spoke about wasn't the steel one but the electricitys'produce one.
Please have a look on the first article you will found on the Google research if you ask for these 5 following words:"greenpeace asia thailant ban krut".

This article intituled "Bo Nok and Ban Krut Power Plants" is old but I saw an other one most recently and cannot found it again.
I'm scare this project to be not dead.

But if you don't heard nothing more on that it could be really dead. I hope.

Happy to read more toppics on this good Ban Saphan forum, bests regards, Jean.

buksida

Post by buksida » 24 Mar 2009 14:49

I have copy pasted the article here for your reference:

Bo Nok and Ban Krut Power Plants
Background
The proposed coal-fired power plants at Bo Nok and Ban Krut originate from the
Thai government's development policies of 1996. The aim was to develop provinces
along the west coast in the southern part of Thailand (particularly Prachuab Khiri
Khan) to become a Steel Industry Zone in order to expand investment from the
private sector and further economic development of the country. Projects to
improve infrastructures in the area were implemented, and plans for two power
plants for electricity supply for the region were developed. Both of the plants are
under the Independent Power Producer (IPP) project.

Projects' investors
Bo Nok power plant will have the capacity to generate 734 MW of electricity.
The plant will cover an area of 162 hectares along the coast in Bo Nok sub-district,
Muang district, Prachuab Kiri Khan Province. The plant belongs to Gulf Power
Generation Co., Ltd. which in turn is owned by:
• Gulf Electric Co., Ltd.*60%
• Edison Mission Energy (US)40%
The expected cost of construction is US$ 0.88 billion (or THB 32,000 million).
Gulf Power Generation Co., Ltd. signed a twenty-five year contract with the
Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) under IPP. The sub-bituminous
coal to be used in the power plant will be from PT Adaro mine in Indonesia, owned
by Australian company New Hope. Co-incidentally Edison used to have shares in this
mine.
*Gulf Electric Public Company Limited is 50% owned by Electricity Generating Public
Company Limited(EGCO), the first independent power producer in Thailand, 49% owned by
Electric Power Development Company Limited (EPDC), one of the largest power producers in
Japan, and 1% owned by Mitsiam International (Thailand), an affiliate of Mitsui & Co.
Ban Krut power plant will have a generating capacity of 1,400 MW of electricity.
The plant will cover an area of 162 hectares along Ban Krut coast, Thongchai
subdistrict, Bang-saphan district, Prachuab Khiri Khan Province.
The project belongs to Union Power Development Co., Ltd (UPDC - Thai
company), which in turn is owned by:
• Union Energy (Thai)15%
• Tomen Corporation (Japanese)29%
• Toyota Tsusho (Japanese)15%
• Chubu Electric (Japanese)15%
• Hong Kong Electric26%

Fortum, a Finnish company and Consolidated Electric Power Asia (CEPA), a US
company withdrew their investment at the end of 1999. A Singaporean company that
had shown interest in the project also withdrew their investment plans citing public
opposition as the main reason.
The expected cost of construction is US$ 1.2 billion (THB 48 billion).
UPDC has signed a twenty-five year contract with the Electricity Generating
Authority of Thailand (EGAT) under IPPproject. The sub-bituminous coal to be used
in the power plant will be imported from Australia (80%), Indonesia and South
Africa.

Projected impacts of the projects
The projects have been opposed by local villagers and environmental groups for
about eight years. The communities have organised against these projects because
they would:
• Uproot a sustainable community that is opposed to such industrial development
• Create a pollution problem that will despoil local ecosystems and public health
• Grossly contribute to climate change through carbon dioxide emissions, and
• Reduce the potential for Thailand to meet its electricity with clean energy.
Other impacts will include loss of farming income, damage to nearby wetlands, and
threats to human health.
The environment around Bo Nok and Ban Krut is extremely rich in biodiversity, the
best known examples being whales and coral reefs respectively . Yet, incredibly,
the existence of whales and coral reefs in the area was not even mentioned in either
companies’ Environmental Impact Assessment.

Greenpeace campaigns
Greenpeace campaigns to stop the expansion exploration for fossil fuels and their
continued utilisation due to the potentially devastating impacts of climate change.
Climate change is caused through burning fossil fuels. At the same time,
Greenpeace also champions the
harnessing of renewable energy and energy
efficiency-based power use and production. The Greenpeace climate and energy
campaign is thus a combined campaign to stop climate change, to promote the use
of renewable energy, and to prevent the proliferation of polluting industries.
Greenpeace has initiated, conducted and organized extensive environmental studies
and has used the scientific knowledge generated to lobby the Thai government to
switch support to clean energy and to phase-out the country’s use of fossil fuels.
As well as talking we take action. . In April 2002, Greenpeace helped the villagers of
Bo Nok and Ban Krut in the province of Prachuab Khiri Khan install solar power on a
local school and temple to illustrate that the communities are serious in their desire
for renewable energy for Thailand.
Greenpeace also supports the peaceful activism of communities in different ways,
like skill-sharing, the holding of seminars, teach-ins, environmental training, and
media work.

Greenpeace Demands
Greenpeace believes that the Thai Government should –
• Commit to adopting a 30% target for power generation from renewable energy
sources by 2020 and to energy efficiency standards.
• Overturn all existing approvals for fossil fuel power plants, including those at Ban
Krut and Bo Nok.
• Phase out all direct and indirect susbsidies to polluting fossil fuels by 2007.

http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/content/s ... r-plan.pdf

APACHE387

Thank you Buksida

Post by APACHE387 » 26 Mar 2009 13:25

Hi, bonjour,
I wish you will care about all news about this project, you are better than me to search informations on the web.
Finaly we don't know what Thai government will chose as power production for the country, we must be carefull and give to the local fight our support (but it is only here my very personal point of view).

APACHE387

Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, condamed.

Post by APACHE387 » 27 Mar 2009 13:39

Last week in Chiang Mai the EGAT was condamned to give 246 000 baht to people from Mae Moh in Lampang province because on its toxic pollution caused by electric plant.

La semaine dernière, à Chiang Mai, l’autorité chargée de la production de l’électricité en Thailande (Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, EGAT) a été condamnée à verser 246 000 baths, plus des intérêts en compensation à 130 villageois de Mae Moh, dans la province de Lampang, à cause des émissions toxiques de la centrale électrique et de son impact sur l’environnement.

Saw on thailande - fr . com on 27 march 2009

That is a good new for our topic. Jean.

APACHE387

Post by APACHE387 » 30 Nov 2009 05:19

I got this information at the link here below. APACHE387
http://www.travelfish.org/sights/thaila ... n/ban_krut

Go See the Giant Buddha
Conspicuously located on a headland at the north of the beach is a 15-metre tall golden Buddha and associated wat. It's beautiful, and the hill-top perch offers stunning views of the coastline and all the way inland to the Burmese border. An interesting factoid about it's construction: its was built as a big, fat bribe! A US/Thai consortium tried for eight years to convince the locals to let them build two coal-fired electrical power stations, and the Buddha was thrown in as compensation for wrecking the coastline and filling the air with smoke. But the locals didn't bite -- they got Greenpeace involved, there was a big protest, and the power companies withdrew from the effort in 2002. Locals generally refuse to even visit the big Buddha, but they won't hold it against you if you do.

APACHE387

Just very interesting to read.

Post by APACHE387 » 01 Jan 2010 09:55

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/41
It was on june 2007, and now ?.....