Road trip: unofficial border crossing to Burma

Koh Talu, beaches, temples, waterfalls, caves, markets and all local attractions, activities and events.
SPONSORS: Bangsaphan Motorbike Rentals
buksida

Road trip: unofficial border crossing to Burma

Post by buksida » 11 Jun 2012 12:55

There are hundreds of these dotted along the Thai-Burma border so I took a ride out to one yesterday to see if I could get across.
lake4.jpg
lake4.jpg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
lake3.jpg
lake3.jpg (103.25 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
lake2.jpg
lake2.jpg (105.16 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
The lake is on the Thai side.
lake1.jpg
lake1.jpg (107.32 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
The river is well known in the area for gold panning though locals told us there was nothing left. This reservoir burst a few years back causing the major flooding in Bangsaphan Yai.
burma1.jpg
burma1.jpg (101.18 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
A simple pole barrier separates Thailand from Burma.
burma2.jpg
burma2.jpg (107.97 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Walking into the unknown.
burma3.jpg
burma3.jpg (95.48 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Looking back into Thailand.

There were a couple of guys asleep in the hut on the Myanmar side, the road - which was a mud track - disappeared into dense impenetrable jungle. Locals told us the nearest village was a three day trek and it would not be safe for us to cross. On the Thai side we were offered passage into Burma for 500 baht.
map1.jpg
Observations:
The Thais and Burmese don't really like each other, we had a few beers in the local village on the Thai side and chatted to the locals who told us that Thai maidens were far fairer than their Burmese counterparts and that they were dangerous people on the other side!

The Burmese, even though completely unaccustomed to westerners, could speak a basic level of English whereas there was absolutely none spoken on the Thai side.

There was absolutely no mention of visas or passports, if you had enough money you could go anywhere ... that is until you got caught by someone that wanted more money out of you for being in the country illegally!

I'd contacted the Myanmar e-visa people a few days before who told me that crossing into Burma overland from Thailand was not possible for foreigners at the current time.

waz

Re: Road trip: unofficial border crossing to Burma

Post by waz » 13 Aug 2012 12:48

getting closer to the big move,and I have been cosidering personal transport for myself, noticed your pics on the run up to the border,I have been leaning towards a2nd hand Honda or similar around 200cc for local touring . Can Iask what models went on that run,and has anyone had any experience with the Thai maufacrured Monacos etc ,also curious about servicing and repairs in BS

buksida

Post by buksida » 13 Aug 2012 15:56

Hi Waz, bikes on that run were Honda Phantoms (which are quite popular in BS) and a CBR250.

Anything Honda is real easy on servicing and maintaining, there is only one little place for big bikes in BS that only opens weekends.

AJS

Post by AJS » 27 Dec 2012 00:06

This looks like a great trip. How far is this from Bang Saphan?

Did you ride the bikes over to the Burmese side or would this be even more "tea money?"

buksida

Post by buksida » 29 Dec 2012 14:40

There wasn't actually a road on the Burmese side so riding across wasn't possible.