Restaurant comments

Hotels, resorts, guesthouses and beach bungalows, find somewhere to stay here. Watering holes and feeding spots, get the info here.
SPONSORS: Palm Gardens Country Road Bar & Restaurant
migrant

Restaurant comments

Post by migrant » 17 Nov 2013 22:22

Just returned from Thailand which included 5 days in BS so here are some comments on restaurants we ate at
I commented on Country Roads on their thread so won't repeat here.

Cuisine Restaurant - Ate lunch and dinner here and both meals very good. Dishes were spaghetti, steak (filet from New Zealand), and various thai dishes along with beer and wine. We enjoyed all of them, good prices and serving sizes, would recommend. Noticed they were closed wednesday

Sabai Sabai - just 100 meters from Cuisine. The restaurant was a very attractive place, and the staff very nice and helpful. We had pizza, rad na, salads and french fries. All dishes were good, but we weren't overly impressed with any of them. Prices good and portions fine. If we were in the area we would try again since the food wasn't bad, just that we found what we felt was better.

Sunrise - Dinner one night and the wife, and MIL had a couple Thai dishes, I had spaghetti bolognese and a salad. I had wanted to get a steak since I read somewhere that they had excellent steaks, but there wasn't any on the menu. The wife and MIL felt the Thai food was OK, but not special, I felt the spaghetti was dry. Salad was good. Portions and prices good, but slightly higher prices than others we went to. The view, which probably influenced the prices, was gorgeous. Right on the beach with a nice evening of fishing lights stretched across the horizon. Again, would probably retry if we were around more, but wouldn't rush back.

Suan Luang resort - Read good things about this, but they were closed! Maybe because we went on a weekday??

If you go through the town section it brings you to a beach road that, with a left turn, would bring you to the harbor area (eventually) and the tip of the little peninsula. At the intersection where the town road meets the beach road therre was a large restaurant right on the beach where we stopped for lunch. Shrimp and tofu soup, fried fish with fries (western style), and a couple Thai dishes. Food was good, nothing special, but service staff was very much a downer. I know most Thai restaurants we go to in Thailand have staff that doesn't smile, but they were very down when we visited. For me it really takes away from the experience for me so we wouldn't repeat. Prices a bit higher too.

In Bang Krut we went to a place on the beach road, J & J bergers. Service across the road right on the beach. Had cheese burger, onion rings, fries, tuna salad and gai krapow. All food was excellent with prices low and portions good. Service was quick, but we were the only ones there (lunch). Would definitely repeat!!

Your mileage, and tastes, of course, will differ, but we were pleased with the variety available overall.

bsb

Re: Restaurant comments

Post by bsb » 18 Nov 2013 09:22

migrant, thumbs up for your reviews....just a note sunrise has been sold,so needless to say the food is not the same as a couple of years ago.sabai sabai a relative of Ya and fango so expec good things to come....JJ's is a great place when you get the urge for a great old fashion burger and great thai food also....on your travels back north if in hua hin try coco 51 expensive on the beach, needless to say on soi 51 but great ambience and food

migrant

Re: Restaurant comments

Post by migrant » 19 Nov 2013 09:02

bsb wrote:migrant, thumbs up for your reviews....just a note sunrise has been sold,so needless to say the food is not the same as a couple of years ago.sabai sabai a relative of Ya and fango so expec good things to come....JJ's is a great place when you get the urge for a great old fashion burger and great thai food also....on your travels back north if in hua hin try coco 51 expensive on the beach, needless to say on soi 51 but great ambience and food
I think Sabai, sabai has great potential and would like to go again when we return (next year unfortunately!!)

We did Coco 51 while in Hua Hin (the wife is from Tha Yang, just north of Cha Am so we hit HH/CA every year) and liked it very much! Excellent food and atmosphere!! Haven't gotten around to posting the Hua Hin restaurants yet on the HHAD forum but will. Coco 51 was as good as it gets!! :D