Bungalow, Long Term Stay, Security, Nitelife and Relo Q/A

Hotels, resorts, guesthouses and beach bungalows, find somewhere to stay here. Watering holes and feeding spots, get the info here.
SPONSORS: Palm Gardens Country Road Bar & Restaurant
monkgonemad

Bungalow, Long Term Stay, Security, Nitelife and Relo Q/A

Post by monkgonemad » 19 May 2009 02:53

Hi -

Obviously my first post here...

Have a few questions, appreciate any input. I'm making a big lifestyle change and part of this is finding a new base. I won't bore everyone why I'm not going to N. Pha Ngan, Lipe...but a friend had recommended Phayam. Anyway....years ago islands were great but with the trash and hassles over money, security....i think its just a fools errand.

Beaches on mainland have been considered far and wide - but the Ban Saphan area seems best with one downside - East facing beach.

So... I'm looking to: (A) spend a few weeks in the area (B) consider it as a base for months Nov-Feb15

1. UP TO B6000 a month (but expect to pay about half that on a bi-weekly for typical cheap bungalow), prefer beach bungalow -but security is paramount. Best current Bungalow operations I've seen w/ reviews Lola and WhyNot.

Any bungalow have ameal requirement?

I presume the power is more/less 24hrs

Next, what are long stay options for in-town room or resort sala/room -quiet place that I could blast some tunes on occasion. Finally, it should be walking distance to bar(s).

2. Are there any known security issues with the bungalows in this area. Are there lockers or something at Lola/WhyNot? Theft comments...

ANY SIMILAR OLD SCHOOL BUNGALOW?

3. Short list of waterholes for sundown beer or all night binge. Yeah, I know its really slow and there are no hookers from Issarn. I'm good with that.

4. Where can I get oatmeal/porridge? Is that a Tesco/HH run? Anywhere to buy local seafood, market, off the boats or is this a trip to Prachuap?

5. Food options, I can eat authentic Thai food 3x a day easily and prefer it but I stress authentic, not tourist menu.

NOTE: How much is moto from train station OR place (?) bus from southern bus station drops off to the bungalows (above)? Can I walk without getting lost in the heat of mid-day sun?

5. Clean beaches? Algae in summer, jellies, trash, tourists...

Looking to arrive in about ten days (June 1 +/-), what about rain/monsoon in this area?

I know its a lot of questions - MANY THANKS

M0nK

The Family

Post by The Family » 19 May 2009 16:28

Firstly, Welcom to the BSGuide Monkgonemad! :)

You will find it hard to book anything inadvance.
Best current Bungalow operations I've seen w/ reviews Lola and WhyNot.
You get what you pay for. :wink: These bungalows are on the beach, cheap and basic - advice - ask owner to secure valuables for you.
Any bungalow have ameal requirement?
In a word No! WhyNot Bar have Thai Food & Farang food available from 11am.
I presume the power is more/less 24hrs
As far as I know yes!

Next, what are long stay options for in-town room or resort sala/room -quiet place that I could blast some tunes on occasion. Finally, it should be walking distance to bar(s). BS Guest House is in town from 350bht per night, I'm sure long term negotiable, check out website. They serve porridge!!
Short list of waterholes for sundown beer or all night binge.
WhyNot, on the beach 11am-11pm. Coca Bar (Montri's) He lives in the bar, so opening and closing not a problem really. In town there are a few all night bars. BS Guest House offers Pool Table (open pool match first Tuesday of the month), Dart borad, TV's, Free WiFi, open 10am -10pm (later if customers are in bar).
Food options, I can eat authentic Thai food 3x a day easily and prefer it but I stress authentic, not tourist menu
. Unless you go to the resort's, you will find most restaurant's inexpensive, a good one being Tae's in town. You can also find fresh fish in the local market in town daily.
NOTE: How much is moto from train station OR place (?) bus from southern bus station drops off to the bungalows (above)? Can I walk without getting lost in the heat of mid-day sun?
I would not like to have to walk from the Train/Bus Station myself, but if you are fit, it is around 7/8Km to the beach. Motorbike taxi 40bht.
Clean beaches? Algae in summer, jellies, trash, tourists...
Have not seen any Jellies for a few weeks now. Tourists non existant!! The beaches are normally quite clean.

Think I have answered most of the questions for you, if I can help any further do not hesitate to ask! :D

monkgonemad

Post by monkgonemad » 19 May 2009 17:11

thanks very much. actually, i found most of my questions on the guide (which is very good little site). my apologies, im in such a rush - leaving today. i did not have any time to really have a look at where i want to go this year, esp since it involves relocating and monsoon. but thansk so much esp for the moto price nugget.

five hours...

robertsamual

Re:

Post by robertsamual » 29 Nov 2010 16:13

The Family wrote: In town there are a few all night bars. BS Guest House offers Pool Table (open pool match first Tuesday of the month), Dart borad, TV's, Free WiFi, open 10am -10pm (later if customers are in bar).
Having pool table and interesting pool guys is the most important thing for me while planning a vacation for 2-3 weeks outside my hometown. I just love playing pool at bars with a glass of beer in hand.