recommended areas to buy a house in Bang Saphan

Discussion on buying, selling and renting houses and land in Bangsaphan. Please do not use this section to post properties for sale.
SPONSORS: Bangsaphan Property
will mac

recommended areas to buy a house in Bang Saphan

Post by will mac » 15 Oct 2013 05:09

Hello, my first post here
After splitting time between London and Bangkok for 2 yrs (and dreadful Phuket) I've been researching Bangsaphan and the surrounding area as a potential place to buy a property and live. I'll visit Bang Saphan with my fiance to start a search shortly. My budget is tight, I'm hoping to find a traditional type house for around 1.5M.

I'm hoping to find relative peace but also a relaxed smaller 'scene', away from the heavily overdeveloped areas and islands. I have no issues with muslim neighbours(I lived for 10 yrs in a muslim area in the uk) and I'm ok with noisy street dogs.
The property sites don't detail with maps so I'm hoping there will be some opinions here on good locations in and around the town, say within 600 metres of the beach. Also happy to renovate an old thai property if there are such properties within budget in Bangsaphan!

Will

buksida

Re: recommended areas to buy a house in Bang Saphan

Post by buksida » 15 Oct 2013 08:12

Welcome to the forum, the best way to get the lay of the land is to actually come here, dont rely on a few pictures on a property site.

Have you read this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=710

And this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=237

The Suan Luang area is certainly the most popular as it is near the beach and resorts, it is also the most expensive. That said, re-sale will be easier in this area (providing it is not priced over market value).

You will find land within your budget in this area but land and a house is unlikely. There would be more houses in this price range about 1-2km from the beach area, or over the main road.

bsb

Post by bsb » 15 Oct 2013 09:33

forget about resale ...buy a place you like and lean back and enjoy ..when you decide to sell put it forsale and join the rest of the people who have their homes for sale for years with no buyers..contray to popular BS the prices keep going up but there are few buyers..thais do not care if they sell and most farangs got screwed from the get go so they have to get more than real value to break even. look at the real estate sale sites in Bs ...full of over priced homes for sale for years....

buksida

Post by buksida » 15 Oct 2013 10:34

Before we get overwhelmed with negativity again we need to consider a few factors:

Land in the prime spots (Suan Luang) is selling like hotcakes and is a very good investment - location location location - prices are only going one way and that is up. There are no more small (under a rai) plots on or near the beach in this area at sensible prices. The only problem with land is the ownership issue for foreigners, leases have not been proved and should be avoided as the local land office makes up its own rules.

Houses are a different ball game, Thais will seldom buy a second hand house and those on the market are probably a bit over priced as you say, hence they are not selling. Most people that buy property here tend to buy a small plot of land and build their own place - at present there are at least 10 new ones going up withing a few hundred meters of the Coral hotel.

I still believe real estate in BS is a better long term investment than say Hua Hin where the market is flooded with hundreds of developments and villas that are not even selling at knock down prices. Land is not an option in Hua Hin unless you have millions or want to be 10km away from anything.

bsb

Post by bsb » 15 Oct 2013 10:49

no negativty intended ...just facts ...there are at least 15 different plots under a rai in the suan luang area for sale for over a year under 1 million...many house for sale and or abandoned because of no sales either by owners or bankrupt companies.....look at real estate listings in the area and look at DOM that proves only facts not BS or negativity

buksida

Post by buksida » 15 Oct 2013 10:52

bsb wrote:there are at least 15 different plots under a rai in the suan luang area for sale for over a year under 1 million...
I'm talking ON or within 100m of the beach, close to the Coral (this is the prime spot, not up near the gas plant). None as far as I'm aware, all have been sold within the last 2-3 years.

will mac

Post by will mac » 15 Oct 2013 18:20

Thanks guys, I do like the idea of buying a small plot/developing, as I'm a designer and my thai GF is an architect. But if there are Lease issues then I'd best avoid that idea for now.
Of course I'll get a feel for the area (passed through it briefly 10 yrs ago) and stay for a few weeks.
So now I'm leaning more towards a house nr the beach, either a traditional wood house I cd renovate back to how it shd look(most have been updated) or a more modern house which I can tweak. I've seen a couple on the main Bangsaphan property site which are close to my budget, one is a trad house and the other has a pizzeria(?) attached - have no idea where these are situated as no map on the site.
I don't want to be living in a heavily developed area, but it wd be nice to be close to a few bars/restaurants.
Any purchase wd be a long term commitment, as who knows what will happen to property values after the Accession

buksida

Post by buksida » 16 Oct 2013 07:28

You'll still have the land ownership issue if you buy a house - as it sits on a plot of land. There are really only two options; 1) lease it, 2) put it in your girlfriends name. They really don't want foreigners having any control whatsoever over land in Thailand.

There are no heavily developed areas in BS, the two properties you mention are both relatively isolated.

bsb

Post by bsb » 16 Oct 2013 08:32

there is 12 rai for 1.5 a rai at this location on the beach
Fai Tha -Nong Hat Thai Road , Phong Prasat District , Bang Saphan Amphur, PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN Province