Bank books: the latest scam at Bangsaphan land office

Discussion on buying, selling and renting houses and land in Bangsaphan. Please do not use this section to post properties for sale.
SPONSORS: Bangsaphan Property
buksida

Bank books: the latest scam at Bangsaphan land office

Post by buksida » 13 Jun 2012 12:23

BS land office are now asking for bank books for farang/Thai couples wanting to transfer a chanote.
The bank book must be in the Thai wife's name and contain enough funds to cover the land office purchase price of the plot. They will not transfer a chanote to a Thai married to a farang without this (unless considerable tea money is involved).

Thai law stipulates that married couples (regardless of nationality) are entitled to a 50/50 split on all property accrued within the period of their marriage. There is no requirement under law to show any evidence of source of funds for property purchases. Research has revealed that this practice is not applied in Hua Hin; real estate professionals and legal advisers questioned have never heard of such a requirement.

Be warned, you may need a competent lawyer if dealing with Bangsaphan land office.

Mr Wu

Re: Bank books: the latest scam at Bangsaphan land office

Post by Mr Wu » 12 Jul 2012 13:51

Just looks like another thought up scheme to extract easy tea money from the falangs, shame 'officials' in bangsapan are going down this route.

bsb

Post by bsb » 16 Jul 2012 08:05

sounds like some BS land office people trying to recoup some bad land investment monies

Mr Wu

Post by Mr Wu » 18 Jul 2012 19:34

To me it looks like discrimination against Thai people who marry foreigners, there once was a time when Thai women married to farangs could not buy land - is it going back to this?

Mr Chin Chok

Post by Mr Chin Chok » 23 Jul 2012 00:07

There is a lady chief at the land office who for sure is no friend of farang involvement in land deals. I was part of an arrangement where I received the right to use my wife's land for as long as I live (usufruct) as part of a land acquisition. The lady chief, dressed in military style uniform, explained to my wife that the farang (me) only used her to buy land and that we better stop the transaction. She was quite aggressive, made me look like a "bad guy" - not a comfortable situation. We pushed it through in the end and had some good legal help. This was two years ago now. The land office folks are more acquainted to land leases, the "usufruct" part may have done some to aggravate the land office lady. Perfectly legal, though, and popular in other locations.

bsb

Post by bsb » 23 Jul 2012 08:38

burma looking better and better

Mr Chin Chok

Post by Mr Chin Chok » 02 Aug 2012 13:28

Just curious: any effect on land transaction activity so far? From the new land office practice I mean.

buksida

Post by buksida » 02 Aug 2012 14:47

In general I don't know, maybe someone that has recently done it can post, as far as I know this bank book practice is still going on here but not in Hua Hin. Things are very quiet at the moment in Bangsaphan.

buksida

Post by buksida » 11 Sep 2012 07:39

Quick update, chanote finally transferred, they're still asking for a bank book (this is unique to Bangsaphan) and farangs involved in land transfers now have to meet the boss who tells them they have absolutely no legal rights to the plot. This is bullshit as under Thai law any property purchased within the duration of a legal marriage is split 50/50 by the courts in the event of a divorce, its called 'sin somros' (marital property).

steve from samui

Post by steve from samui » 26 Sep 2013 09:52

There is no law in thailand were you have to show were you obtained the funds its an easy process your wife buys the chanote you keep away from the land office you can put the money in her account bank book then she gets a bankers check to pay for the land and then recieves the chanote ref under the table money offer to give it to them and they will write back the value of the land and you will pay less tax play the game all the land offices are the same they all have hungry for money employees and then after you have bought the land and you are married (legally) and registered with the thai ampher not just a thai village marriage ceromony your 50/50 rights ( IN A DIVORCE SETTLEMENT)apply but if you dont trust your wife have her lease the land to you for 30 years plus 30 years tell her its security for your next of kin if you die or if she dies you dont need to spend money with expensive lawyers on this issue but you certainly need them if you are not experienced to check out the land and see if it is genuine before you buy last year in koh samui 50 cases were brought to court with fake chanotes(scary)

buksida

Post by buksida » 26 Sep 2013 19:10

The actual law and what local land offices decide is their law are seldom the same thing.

will mac

Post by will mac » 15 Oct 2013 18:47

Thanks for the Heads Up at the Land Office. Steve from Samui that was good reading! If my future father-in-law happened to be an army general, wd that make a difference with how they treat us as a couple?

buksida

Post by buksida » 16 Oct 2013 07:24

The only way to get better treatment locally is to know someone higher ranking than the land office boss in BS (though this is no guarantee).

If you are not legally married you may not have this problem, your girlfriend can go to the land office and buy the land alone, using her maiden name. It is only Thai women married to foreigners that are discriminated against with this fake 'regulation'.