Buying versus renting property in Bangsaphan

Discussion on buying, selling and renting houses and land in Bangsaphan. Please do not use this section to post properties for sale.
SPONSORS: Bangsaphan Property

Would you buy or rent?

Buy
40%
Rent
50%
Both
10%
Neither (stay in a hotel)
No votes

Total votes: 10

buksida

Re: Buying versus renting property in Bangsaphan

Post by buksida » 04 Aug 2011 08:35

Just a quick addition to this topic to say that rental prices seem to have jumped in the last year, it is not uncommon to see small 1-2 bedroom bungalows within 500 meters from the beach with basic furnishings going for between 10 and 15k per month.

Obviously cheaper options are available for those that want to hunt around for them or live further away.

buksida

Post by buksida » 05 Aug 2011 10:02

keithsanger wrote: Can you recommend good estate agents for the area?
Or is it like BKK where you have to foot it yourself and look and find properties?
Btw can I get a copy of the area map somehow?
There isn't one, though this website gives you a rough idea of what is available: http://bangsaphanproperty.com/

You can print the map off here: http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/forum/vi ... ?f=1&t=491

buksida

Post by buksida » 22 May 2012 07:40

Going to revive this topic to get it going again.

Rental properties are now in demand, as other places become too expensive more people look towards Bangsaphan to spend their winter months. When I first arrived here the most you'd pay for a rental is 5k a month - now people are asking up to 15, and some are getting it! So the answer to the original question should be - buy to rent! The key factor seems to be location, it must be within 5 mins (preferably walkable) of the Suan Luang beach area if bigger rents are sought.

There are also a lot of new builds going up, especially up on the main road - those that haven't been here for a few years will notice the difference. BS is still one of the last remaining undeveloped tourist spots in Thailand though this is gradually changing.

Thoughts?

bsb

Post by bsb » 22 May 2012 09:14

althou I depise Huaah hin , I can go there and on any night have any thing I choose for dinner,
go home and 9 times out of 10 my electricity is on and the water is flowing. Now because of way too many people in huahin I move to Bang saphan to get away from it all . I drop 7 million and can not get a decent steak, fish and chips , good bottle of fine wine or even an english speaking girl for the night ......almost makes Hua hell as some of you call it a nice place to live

Bang saphan is a great place but way ahead of itself for years to come..prices going up on asking price ...butnot much sold...just my opinion and welome discussions

buksida

Post by buksida » 22 May 2012 09:25

bsb wrote: ...butnot much sold...
I'd have to disagree with that - land near the beach is being snapped up here like it is a finite commodity ... oh yeah, it is!

bsb

Post by bsb » 23 May 2012 07:32

with the euro on the verge of collapse and the dollar not much better, the exchange rate sucks
because of weak currencies ,not a strong baht. Where is the money coming from?
thai to thai..betting on the cum line? I look around at properties for sale and properties for sale in BSG and mostly I see bad decisions for sale. 9 million baht for a house that has a slum 100 feet away , WTF were they thinking when they built it

buksida

Post by buksida » 23 May 2012 07:55

Who said anything about Euros? Thais are buying up most of the land here, which in my book makes it a good deal as they are not going to pay inflated prices unlike the farangs that are bought in Hua Hin during the property bubble of 2006-8.

There is only one 9 mill house on the property guide, also on that site are houses with a rai of land less than a kilometer from the beach for between 2 and 3 mill. Yes, Europeans are in the shitter with currencies and Thais seldom buy second hand houses so they're still for sale - but the land is going like hotcakes, hence the price hikes, well priced good plots near the beach are very rare.

bsb

Post by bsb » 23 May 2012 08:53

I agree well priced lots near the beach are very rare, so are virgins in thailand ...does that make either a good investment

buksida

Post by buksida » 23 May 2012 09:40

I'd definitely say a plot of land near the beach in a developing area is a good investment, especially since its selling well.

All depends on personal situations, its pointless for those on pensions with no dependents - but those earning with kids to pass it on to can't go wrong IMO.

As for virgins ... don't think I've encountered one here :mrgreen:

bettyjmaar

Post by bettyjmaar » 15 Jun 2012 18:13

In my opinion renting house is best.

bsb

Post by bsb » 16 Jun 2012 09:15

bettyjmarr, for conversation purposes what makes you think renting is better than buying...not saying I disagree , just like your opinion input

bettyjmaar

Post by bettyjmaar » 16 Jun 2012 12:15

The first disadvantage is an obvious one; it costs more. Generally the monthly outgoings will be more for a mortgage than rent (although you may eventually pay if off). There is also the deposit for the mortgage. Although renting also requires a deposit, it is usually only one or two month's rent, while a deposit for buying a home will be several thousands.

bsb

Post by bsb » 17 Jun 2012 20:13

when you say deposit for buying a home, I assume you mean the down payment on a loan as

opposed to paying cash?