Abandoned dogs in Bangsaphan

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
Santi-C

Re: What bastard tied this beautiful dog to a tree on the be

Post by Santi-C » 22 Oct 2013 19:48

bsb. Ummmm! Did you say "idiot"? What is an idiot, apart from me and the rest of those who are not you, that is?

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 22 Oct 2013 22:42

My dear Santi-C, you make the ass tired...

Keep up with your doggie dreams and your War Of The Sexes, and wholesale condemnation of those not in your camp. May you have a happy life! Next time I drift into Bang Saphan, I'll try to stop by and say hello, see your good works first hand, and let you count the number of horns on my head. :)

Yours in Truth and Beauty,
Bowser J. Bowser
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 23 Oct 2013 03:06

Dearest yoursTruly,

Sorry about your ass and your damaged pride – so you are sensitive about some things then …?

I've always enjoyed a challenge and look forward to spotting you on the beach amongst the horns of all the other ferals. You can't miss me - I'll be setting the cat amongst the pigeons, wearing a long blonde wig, mini-skirt with a T-shirt marked “Up with dogs, F**k men”, a teddy bear in one hand and a begging bowl in the other, not to mention the indispensable calf-length woolly socks in sandals on my dainty feet!

Love you, too, yoursTruly. XXX

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 23 Oct 2013 03:29

Hey Santi-C,

No hard feelings. I was a little dismissive. You and Dogsdinner obviously care about what you're doing, and work hard at it. It's very difficult to see anything suffer. There's another side of it, of course: the suffering by humans from neglected and desperate animals and what to do about it. Anyway, I hope someday we can stroll down the street arm and arm as below, and and realize that most of us are decent, well meaning people despite our differences...

We can even bring along Dogsdinner, if she'll let up on this for awhile :)

Cheers,
Doug
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

bsb

Post by bsb » 23 Oct 2013 08:35

bsb. Ummmm! Did you say "idiot"? What is an idiot, apart from me and the rest of those who are not you, that is?

must be me also ,cause Iam carrying on this conversation with some one who is very good as cut and paste, like I said in the beginning the whole thing is not about dogs ,but some one who classifies all europeans as bastards. then about the dogs, and how about I suggested lets all take care of the suffering children first, then the dogs and you go into your cut and paste rant about global warming,humanity and everything else except the PT rice scam. feed the dogs,global warming ,humanity ,you are probaly a vegitarian also. Maybe I will start putting donation boxes everywhere to help take care of children, but then I would be accused of hurting the dogs

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 23 Oct 2013 20:52

bsb. Poor you. At the risk of wasting my time, you may be interested, at least as a parent, in reading the article on the BBC website (bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24615946) in which Christiana Figueres, UNFCC Executive Secretary, speaking to the BBC says inter alia, and I quote:

“I'm committed to climate change because of future generations, it is not about us, right? We're out of here ... I just feel that it is so completely unfair and immoral what we are doing to future generations, we are condemning them before they are even born. We have a choice about it, that's the point, we have a choice. If it were inevitable then so be it, but we have a choice to change the future we are going to give our children.”

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 23 Oct 2013 20:56

Hi yoursTruly,

No problem, and congratulations on a step in the right direction! I stopped worrying about what others think about imperfect little me when I became aware that what is important is being able to face my own conscience and say to myself “Yes, I tried to do the right thing to make things better, not just for myself and my family but for other more vulnerable living beings”.

My mind is holistic and does not compartmentalize by putting dogs, for example, in one drawer, or humans in another, then closing them to the rest of life on earth. All life is inter-connected and inter-dependant – remove or damage one link and we create an imbalance; remove or damage several links and we create a disaster; the ultimate consequence being self-destruction.

This thread, started by someone who cares, is about an irresponsible person who abandoned his/her dog in a most cowardly and thoughtless way. If you and bsb are really so interested in the plight of humans, why don't you open another thread? In the meantime, I am more interested in knowing what you and others have done or intend to do to help and support “dogsdinner” and all her canine protégés so cruelly abandoned or abused by so-called humans.

Best wishes.

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 24 Oct 2013 00:05

Hi Santi--

>>I am more interested in knowing what you and others have done or intend to do to help and support “dogsdinner” and all her canine protégés so cruelly abandoned or abused by so-called humans.

I think you'll get an answer to that about the time I get an answer to my question: "Why won't everyone keep their adopted dogs a bit away from the bar, so that I (being allergic) can have a social life in Bang Saphan?" I have my dog problems too, but people (including you probably) don't give two shits about *my* problem, so why would they care about yours either. It turns out (surprise) that they've got troubles of their own.

It's the way the world works (or doesn't). Taking the high moral ground and looking down on all others might make you feel good, but it alienates others to your cause. If you and dogsdinner want to get any support on your project, you've got to offer people something in return. Getting up on your high horse and lecturing is merely insulting, and counter-productive.

What most people on the beach want (do you even care?) is to be free of the dangerous and annoying feral dog population. All of us like dogs, and none of us like getting bitten or chased into the water by a pack of them. What people on the beach need (if I can speak for others) is a drastic reduction in the feral dog population, a "culling of the herd". Basically, we need a service, as in the West, that disposes of unwanted dogs (or alternatively finds loving homes for them, but of course there are many more dogs than loving homes). If you can make the feral dog population disappear from the beach, however you do it, I think you'll find a lot of support your project--monetary and otherwise.

If you want something, you have to give something. It's the Golden Rule of Getting What You Want. More moral lectures from you and DD won't cut it. You might as well be old ladies from the Temperance Society, lecturing about The Evils Of Alcohol, for all we care. But, give us something we need, and we'll be interested...think it over.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 24 Oct 2013 01:34

Santi, Bsb, and others,

Another proposal for The Great Dog Dilemma is to talk to "city hall" (local Bang Saphan govt), and offer a monthly fee for "dog removal services". We all know that labor is cheap in Thailand (by Western standards). If we all kicked in a few bucks a month, perhaps the town would appoint a "dog officer" to round up the strays, deal with specific complaints (such as the serial biter near the Coral), and rid the beach of the problem. It would be worth a few bucks to get these dogs out of our hair. If Santi and Dogsdinner wanted to be the recepient of the strays that the dog officer collected, fine. If not, the city would 'dispose' of them. (I know Santi--it's cold, but the only way).

If the "officer" didn't do his job, we'd complain and withhold the monthly payout--a simple feedback mechanism to keep them honest. This scheme has the advantage of being blessed by the local government. It wouldn't be 'illegal', as would individual action on our own.

Of course, the 'authorities' have to agree, and at a reasonable price. I have no experience with them, except that 'money talks' in Thailand.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

bsb

Post by bsb » 24 Oct 2013 09:11

Santi, you want to know what I will do for the dogs, I'll tell you, you get your ass to belly up to the bar for lets say 50,000 baht for the children and I'll do the same for the flea bitten hounds. I will even give you time to raise the money as I know you donate so much to climate warming,save the trees, the turtles eggs in florida and the whales in the waters off japan and every other silly ass fund in the world except children, and by the way it wasn't about the dogs that got me started, it was the fact of calling europeans bastards and the arrogance in general of these flea bitten feral hounds over the safty of tourists and locals both thai and farang walking down the beach.
lets do it the democratic way and vote what is more important in Suan Luang
the safety of people both thai and farang and their children or the dogs if its the dogs I'll double up and if the safety of people you double up.
now I am waiting

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 24 Oct 2013 19:05

bsb- What do you know about how much, if at all, I make donations for children, or anything else for that matter? And what's keeping you from contributing 50'000 baht to their cause NOW?
Thanks for the invitation, but I would be more fearful of meeting you anywhere than of meeting all the dogs in the world, not because you protest at someone describing a cowardly, irresponsible European as a “bastard” - like your own insulting allusions about your Thai hosts - but because your rage appears to be uncontrollable and your attitude beyond salvation!

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 24 Oct 2013 19:18

Hi yoursTruly,

As you say, “nobody cares about your problem, so why should you care about theirs” - isn't that what my high moral stance has been about? Have you a better suggestion for trying to change that mindset, other than a pretext to do nothing? If a low moral attitude had more success in helping to alleviate suffering than it does in creating harm and hostility, we would not be having this conversation but you, at least, have good intentions and are clearly capable of doing the right thing.

Who doesn't have problems? Some of us try to resolve them alone or are lucky enough to have support from family, friends or sympathisers. Others find it normal to sit back and do nothing, moan, complain and wait for someone else to sort the problem out for them, so I'm really happy to learn that you've come up with a proposal – great news.

OK, you have a problem with dogs and your social life because of your allergy, for which you have my sympathy. Have you considered the following in addition to your suggestion :
1. Invite your friends to your place and get them to invite you to theirs;
2. if you know a sympathetic bar/restaurant owner, ask him/her if it would be possible to fence off a sector outside where you and your mates can congregate without being bothered by dogs;
3. avoid places where you know there is a resident aggressive hound on the loose in the same way as you take precautions to avoid venomous snakes, scorpions, centipedes or even mosquitoes;
4. take a stick with you to ward off (not hit) any menacing hound and don't look it in the eyes but try to ignore it (most are friendly but they scent when people are afraid and will bark, congregate or follow);
5. collectively rent a plot of land, fence it off, and ask Paisan or someone else to build a shelter where you can socialize;
6. in the absence of support for Headrock Dogs, make a regular collection to help the monks, who do what they can with their limited means to help the dogs regularly dumped at the temple where they tend to stay;
7. in collaboration with the local vet (who has already neutered more than 400 dogs and treated many more through the initiative of “dogsdinner”), organize regular neutering campaigns, publicize them in Thai as free for local dog-owners, and get the local steel company and other big businesses to sponsor them;
8. live and let live – I've even heard people complaining about the cock crowing at 1 o'clock in the morning; the Tokai calling throughout the night; the lizard on the ceiling catching mosquitoes and other insects whilst pooing wherever it goes, but they can be as great a joy as hearing the lapping of the waves when we open our minds and remember that the planet is not the unique preserve of the human being;
9. consider moving to a country where dogs are not a problem, but don't expect Thailand to change to suit your needs or wants, especially if you're not prepared to befriend and respect its people and contribute something positive to the community.

By the way, I can take absolutely no credit for “dogsdinner's” rescue centre. She assumes all the excellent work she does virtually single-handed with hardly any time for herself and scarce funds. In fact, we have never yet met. If you and others expect something in return for supporting “dogsdinner's” work, I can well understand why she should have little time for such like-minded individuals. As far as I'm concerned, the satisfaction of trying to help a good person and a worthy cause is ample reward.

Good luck – holding your hand in mind and spirit!
Over and out.

bsb

Post by bsb » 24 Oct 2013 19:49

ok Santi ,you proved your point beyond any doubt, you are all talk and no action, you say you never met the husband and wife who own/run dogsdinner.
heres betting you do not live here either nor have been, because there isn't a person here that doesn't know both of them either thru his music or their work with the hounds

on the compliment side you have a good future as a comedian

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 25 Oct 2013 02:51

>>As you say, “nobody cares about your problem, so why should you care about theirs” - isn't that what my high moral stance has been about? Have you a better suggestion for trying to change that mindset, other than a pretext to do nothing?

As I said before: if you want anybody to pay attention to you, you have to do the same. You should remember you address a rather elderly population (in their 60s) who have genuine fears for their safety, and little energy to neuter and shelter every stray dog that comes their way. Almost everyone who stays here full time has taken in a dog (or three), neutered and taken them to the doc when necessary, gotten the shots--done their bit in otherwords, but there's always a ton more arriving every day. Your solutions simply aren't realistic for us. And your sarcasm and preaching turn people off.
----
My dog problem (allergy) is unsolvable here. There are simply too many dogs, and too many dog lovers/adopters. I've decided to visit, rather than live in BS and stay away from the bars. (The dogs aren't the only reason, or even the main one). No sweat. BS has been good to me. I've made good friends and enjoyed my time here, but it's time to move on. Thanks for your suggestions though.

PS: You *do* have a sense of humor...
"3. take precautions [for dogs as you would] to avoid venomous snakes, scorpions, centipedes or even mosquitoes".

No doubt you've sprayed your room for mosquitos? and perhaps bedbugs in your day--rather than simple neutering them (with tweezers?). All we want to do is "spray" the beach for dogs every month.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

bsb

Post by bsb » 25 Oct 2013 03:36

Yours truly....what can I say besides ....well said

maybe santi should go back and look at the bite one of the dogs gave John

a true dog lover.