Bangsapan building boom

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
Mr Wu

Bangsapan building boom

Post by Mr Wu » 03 Jun 2013 10:33

The peace has been shattered - what was once a quiet place close to nature now seems to be turning into one big construction site. I cycle around a lot and in recent months have seen buildings going up everywhere, the noise of which is enough to wake the dead. Ploys, Lolas, Apple, Seanery, Italay ... all building more more more, bungalows are going up everywhere. There seems to be a new one appearing every week ... its turning into Hua Hin!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

waz

Re: Bangsapan building boom

Post by waz » 05 Jun 2013 09:46

Noticed on Bahtsold that Seanery has a sold sign over their ad,I suppose it was just a matter of time, but can anyone verify if any sales have been made,
Waz

buksida

Post by buksida » 06 Jun 2013 12:24

It was only a matter of time until somewhere as nice as BS became popular - everyone is expanding because its low season and last year was the busiest it has ever been here.

The days of the 300 baht beach bungalow are slowly coming to an end, prices are being pushed up and everyone wants in on the accommodation boom.

Don't worry - still a long way to go before it is anything like Hua Hell!

bsb

Post by bsb » 07 Jun 2013 08:43

if indeed a real buyer bought seanery at the price it was offered I want to meet them, I have some ocean front property in Chaing mai I want to show them. Common sense and thainess tell me a thai buyer that was a friend,family member, maid or dog sitter probaly bought it.you knnow the maid that makes 6 thousamd baht a month and owns 1o million shares of shin corp type of puppet

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 07 Jun 2013 09:08

bsb I would be interested in buying that ocean front land in Chiang Mai ,my home town! Seriously though its been discussed on the forum before Bangsaphan's natural beauty will be inevitably eroded by inappropriate development and the sad thing is the lack of proper planning procedures,necessary infrastructure and lack of vision by those in charge. You can draw parallels with Koh Samui, Koh Chang ,Phuket, Hua Hin, Cha Am etc etc. Finding a place that has not been trashed by development is increasingly difficult. For those of us in our twilight years its sad to see that our children and grandchildren will never enjoy what we have taken,to some extent, for granted. Does "seanery" really look like the artists impressions on their web site ? I doubt it

buksida

Post by buksida » 08 Jun 2013 08:28

The Seanery development certainly does look pretty special but the problem is that there isn't enough in BS to warrant paying Hua Hin prices for property. There are two bars, three or four restaurants and the odd coffee shop - that's it! Aside from a trip to the island there is little else to do for those that live here, there is no golf, no watersports, no ATMs, no convenience stores, no transport to and from town and no shops catering to westerners when you get there.

Its all very well everyone and his dog building more rental bungalows but what are all these tourists going to do when they get here? The novelty of just relaxing on a beach is bound to wear off! I just don't think BS is ready for it all yet.

santabanjo

Post by santabanjo » 08 Jun 2013 13:37

We just sit around getting quietly pissed with you, Buksi. What else can we do? See you next week.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 09 Jun 2013 11:38

I have a slightly different view.We spent a week at the beach in Bangsaphan prior to Christmas.The reason we love it,coming from Chiang Mai ,whose resident expat population has doubled in 5 years,is that there is total peace and quiet.We rented a bike,ate at a different restaurant every night,swam every day, at least 3 times , and read a few books.Nothing different to what we do if we went to one of the numerous islands except it would cost 3 times as much. That's the reason I believe BS has a niche market for people who want to do nothing.We have recommended BS to several friends who all enjoyed the same experience as us and probably why Coral still drags in the mainly French customers who want to get away from people ,shopping centres, traffic and the madness of modern life in heavily populated areas.So in summary that's its attraction for short stays .

What saves BS from being over run at present is also the difficulty getting there and its still relatively unknown. What some accom people should be targeting is in Chiang Mai ,Chiang Rai and all points between from Febuary through to April the whole north of Thailand is covered in smoke from farmers burning off,its horrendous. This year planes could not even land in CR one day due to visibility being reduced to a few 100 metres.Our Dr has dozens of people suffering respiratory problems every "burning season" so a large number of retirees flee to the coast during this time .Where do they go ? HH,Pattaya,Phuket When you mention BS the answer is a blank look with" never heard of it". Bit of smart marketing would open the door to an increased number of visitors to BS during this period.

bsb

Post by bsb » 09 Jun 2013 20:17

But Mike, then our litle hideaway is no more......

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 10 Jun 2013 12:00

Well its all a matter of balance,lifting the local economy and facilities with a few extra bodies, without drastically affecting your way of life,incredibly hard in this country. I'm sure small business would appreciate some extra baht coming through the local economy,or maybe they don't want it,you guys would know. I'm only an observer and a twice a year visitor.
My point,in the last para, was that there is market for retirees to spend a few days in BS without trashing the place.They also don't play loud music, drive jet skis or bring their dogs but they do enjoy a drink, a feed and a bit of conversation !

bsb

Post by bsb » 12 Jun 2013 06:19

Mike ..and those kind are welcome with open arms! and maybe a drink on me

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 13 Jun 2013 15:52

>>Its all very well everyone and his dog building more rental bungalows

I wish the dogs would build more beach bars as well, for themselves, and go *there* at night, rather than turning themselves into allergy shag rugs at Montris or Why Not. Time for a tax based on the number of legs you're coming in with.
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 13 Jun 2013 16:10

BS has reached a "tipping point". Popularity and development will accelerate much faster now. Every few years will bring major changes: new people, new ambience. The Thais will accomodate as usual, with swank bars, hotels, restaurants, burger joints, luxury spas, air-con coffee shops, and adult entertainment centers (no, I'm not talking about expanding the fishermen bars).
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

buksida

Post by buksida » 30 Jul 2013 19:34

In the Suan Luang area alone there are at least four new bar/restaurants in the pipeline, and a coffee shop or two.

Houses are going up like mushrooms.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 31 Jul 2013 12:03

buksida wrote:In the Suan Luang area alone there are at least four new bar/restaurants in the pipeline, and a coffee shop or two.

Houses are going up like mushrooms.
Well the very best of luck to any new business enterprise when you are so reliant on the "high" season to get you through the "low" season.