Cost of living in Bangsaphan

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
buksida

Cost of living in Bangsaphan

Post by buksida » 25 Feb 2013 08:58

It was asked on another topic and since nobody has started a new one on it I'll give it a go. BS is one of the cheapest resort destinations in Thailand which is why it is growing in popularity. Here is a current (Feb 2013) breakdown of costs compared to other popular resorts such as Hua Hin, Khao Lak, Samui, Pattaya etc.

House rental (2 bedroom, furnished, up to 1km from the beach):
BS: 6,000 - 8,000 per month
Other Destinations: 12,000 baht and up

Bungalow rental (basic backpacker bungalow on/near the beach):
BS: 5,000 - 6,000 per month
Other Destinations: not available

A night in a basic beach bungalow:
BS: 300 baht
Other Destinations: 800 baht and up

A night in a 3/4* hotel:
BS: 1,200 baht
Other Destinations: 1,500 baht and up

Motorbike rental:
BS: From 250 baht per day
Other Destinations: From 300 baht per day

A local beer in a bar/restaurant:
BS: Large 70 - 80 baht
BS: Small 40 - 50 baht
Other Destinations: Large 120 baht and up
Other Destinations: Small 80 baht and up

Breakfast:
BS: 60-80 baht
Other Destinations: 140 baht and up

A meal in a restaurant:
BS: 60-80 baht
Other Destinations: 120 baht and up

A day tour:
BS: 300-500 baht
Other Destinations: 1,000 baht and up

A moto taxi town:
BS: 100 baht (7km)
Other destinations: 200 baht and up (comparable distance)

Other items such as utility bills, groceries, fuel etc are comparable with the rest of Thailand.

This is a very approximate guide so please just take it as that. If you have anymore items please add them to the list.

richie22

Re: Cost of living in Bangsaphan

Post by richie22 » 25 Feb 2013 10:38

Thanks for that Buksida.i was going to start it but have been busy the last few days and forgot.

That seems about the same as here but I am still interested in coming up for a look.
What's good place for a beer?

buksida

Post by buksida » 25 Feb 2013 11:49

There are only two beach bars in Bangsaphan, Why Not and Montri's. Bew Beam up on the main road is also ok and try All The Rock if you like live music.

waz

Post by waz » 25 Feb 2013 14:01

I can remember the cocktail bar or clives place on the beach ,had a blinder of a night there one time,what happened there,has it been replaced with another bar,or just another greedy landlord

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 25 Feb 2013 16:15

I've just been down to Bang Saphan for a couple of days to meet up with our friends. I spent a lot of time in bed with fever, but we found it extremely cheap compared with Hua Hin.

Examples are:

Very nice bungalow - you couldnt fault it for cleanliness or facilities. About half way on the main from the town centre to Why Not Bar (on the right immediately past 777 Karaoke) - 500 Baht per night.

I wasn't able to go out at night because I felt awful, but my son was buying a large Leo for 60 Baht (thought he was in heaven)

Breakfast - 5 of us went for breakfast this morning (when we eventually found somewhere open) - total bill 160 Baht.

However, it wasn't just food and accomodation. Things like mobile phones and accessories were priced well below Hua Hin prices. A half decent smart phone was about 1000 Baht cheaper, and cases for phones were 200 Baht cheaper.

As I said, I was out of it for most of the weekend, but I think I've mentioned enough of the savings that I noticed.

PS: Sorry I didn't contact you buksi, but I haven't been good company :cry:
Green Army

buksida

Post by buksida » 26 Feb 2013 12:17

waz wrote:what happened there ... just another greedy landlord
You got it!

rufc

Post by rufc » 26 Feb 2013 16:49

all the rock ...like an x wife is a memory

richie22

Post by richie22 » 26 Feb 2013 20:18

buksida wrote:
waz wrote:what happened there ... just another greedy landlord
You got it!
So it's not endemic to Phuket then.
That's why I closed 2 places and I think the one is still empty 12 months later.
Shame Som Nam Na

rufc

Post by rufc » 26 Feb 2013 20:24

So it's not endemic to Phuket then.
That's why I closed 2 places and I think the one is still empty 12 months later.
Shame Som Nam Na

it is the thai way ...never let a landlord or cop see you are making money....as I have said many times before ...regardless of the business you choose you will only make as much as the thais think you should before something changes

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 16 Mar 2013 11:31

>>..as I have said many times before ...regardless of the business you choose you will only make as much as the thais think you should before something changes

Yeah, a different set of rules apply when you're in business here. On the other hand, just living here is quite a good deal, eg: the public hospitals and trains, both heavily government subsidized, don't charge any more if you're a farang. Ditto for most other goods and services. One could do worse... 8)
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

rufc

Post by rufc » 16 Mar 2013 20:18

if you are a renter in bang saphan you are way ahead of the game ...people keep talking about land prices going up...but only the asking price , not the sale price ,because most of the over priced crap is still for sale. 9 million baht for a house "close to the sea"they forget to mention a 150,00 baht shack next to it...land that was 1.3 million 3 months ago is now 900,000 and still for sale. Look around and listen to the stories of broken dreams....Bang saphan is becoming a melting pot of BS...7 million for a house with a 30 year lease on the land in a town that has nothing to offer to someone
who desires more than a drink on the beach. which I might add in reference to the above has thai and farang prices ..but few take the time to notice. Thailand is a lovely country and so is bang saphan but as always do not believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see, and remember you are living in the kingdom of make believe

beejoir

Post by beejoir » 19 Mar 2013 17:39

[Mod Edit] beejoir, please contact Admin to discuss selling or renting property via this Forum http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/mediakit.php

Senor

Post by Senor » 25 Mar 2013 10:18

It really does sound like a great, cheap place to live if one is after a nice quiet life by a nice Thai beach area.

Sounds like the type of place older retirees on diminishing state pensions can get by comfortably on 30-40k p/m.

Must say that I'm really looking forward to coming down for a few days, and think it may be suited to me to move down in 5 or so years time when my soon to be born daughter is 5 and it's time to get her out of BKK so she won't be raised a Bangkonian. :D