Deadsville, Bangsaphan

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
buksida

Re: Deadsville, Bangsaphan

Post by buksida » 22 May 2019 07:55

Welcome to the low season - you will rarely see another farang these days. All resorts and bungalow outfits are empty, as are the remaining restaurants that are open, and the beach.

Domestic tourism seems to have picked up with all the new holidays but these tourists do not frequent local businesses, they prefer to picnic on the beach with their own supplies (and trash). TAT's 40 million Chinese also don't come here.

Perfect time to get away from it all and visit BS! It will be like this until mid-December.

bsb

Post by bsb » 22 May 2019 17:18

AH yes my favorite time of the year, quite,no crowds anywhere, best time of the year to relax,go fishing, diving.
enjoy life in a much slower and peaceful atmosphere than Hua-hin

cjsiam

Post by cjsiam » 26 May 2019 05:02

So, I assume the various locals don't "move out" so...do you guys/gals get together and BBQ or meet at restaurants that are open? (are there any?)....Sounds pretty idyllic actually...give me 2 years....

bsb

Post by bsb » 26 May 2019 08:25

yes we do ,Why not still open and Cusine as well as Sabai Sabai,Just a much as before just smaller groups and no tourists to speak of

buksida

Post by buksida » 27 May 2019 14:53

Many have moved out, the number of full time expats here has decreased by at least 50% over the past 2-3 years. There have been very few replacing them and those that do move here are hermits.

At the moment there is only one dedicated bar in operation and three restaurants in the tourist area (I'm not including resorts).

The smaller groups do tend to stick together and there is enough to keep them occupied it seems!

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 29 May 2019 17:05

That's a pretty depressing picture for local businesses on the beach.Not sure if anyone has identified exactly why some locals have decided to leave.In Chiang Mai this year we had the worst pollution ever recorded. Toxic air due to burning forests to promote mushroom growth and Rice and Corn stubble .PM levels went to 600. 50 is considered ok.During the school holidays forums on fb and Thai Visa were full of singles and families seeking an escape to the coast and asking for recommendations.I did of course recommend Bangsaphan but the feed back was, too far,too hard to get to.I'm not talking about a few people it was probably well into the hundreds,you just couldn't walk outside without a mask and room air purifiers had record sales.The majority went to Phuket,Krabi through direct flights from CNX and Pattaya /Jomtien . Not sure why none of the airlines have taken up the failed Khan Air route, CNX to Hua Hin, that would be a popular leg as we are going to go through the same 4 months scenario again.Many have left CM permanently, local business friends have lost money the last 2 years mainly due to the pollution which received world wild coverage and political situation, Immigration issues

bsb

Post by bsb » 30 May 2019 07:57

Mike, I think you are right about the world knowing about CM and surrounding areas. Things here are no where near as bad as buksida states as a whole, however he is much younger than the rest of us and his age group come and go yearly to return to work in their own country.For us on legal retirement Visas the number of people here seems to be rising a small amount, however there is talk of some illegals leaving for cheaper pastures. As I am sure you are aware of the older we get the less time we spend in bars and in off season it magnifies the slowdown. With the new double track railroad underway as well as Chumphon airport now flying to BKK, I think the permanent numbers will start to rise. The price of land is so much cheaper than Hua- Hin with nicer beaches it is only a matter of time. Just the other day I saw on Bang Saphan Property website a 1/2 rai of land 50 meters from the beach for a little over 2 million, I have not been to Hua-Hin lately but I would bet that piece of land there would be 5 times higher.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 30 May 2019 11:12

Lots of issues to consider retiring in Bangsaphan or any other part of Thailand now another one is health insurance.Over 70 its virtually impossible to get insurance ( I'm closing in on 77).Going back to my home country,Australia, for a health issue disappeared a long time ago ,you have to become a permanent resident once again.I'm paying cash for my problems and the Oz dollar has decreased 30% over the last 3-4 years,its hurting and obviously I'm not alone. The Chinese tourists are keeping CM alive but they will never find their way to your area.Only adavantage HH has is better infrastructure, hospitals ,supermarkets etc but as a permanent place to live does nothing for us.cheers

bsb

Post by bsb » 30 May 2019 15:38

"The Chinese tourists are keeping CM alive but they will never find their way to your area."
trying to figure is that a blessing or a curse? I have read much about how damage to places seems to follow them.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 31 May 2019 12:06

The younger Chinese tourists tend to just wander around the old city,take a zillion photos ,feed the pigeons at Thepae Gate which is now illegal.High percenatge are well dressed intelligent young ladies.The older ones tend to come in groups,ferried around in buses and vans, and their itinerary is well planned by the guides going to Chinese owned restaurants ,shopping ,ironically buying goods made in their home country.A large number of Chinese are buying up land ,building houses maybe 50 new ones in our gated village alone and investing in businesses.Koreans and Japanese are also here in numbers many living here on a permanent basis and they do love their golf. I doubt they wander southwards. A multide of charter and regular air lines flights means China is only a couple of hours away.Most shops have signage in Chinese.CM has lost its appeal for many other nationalities, many were always repeat visitors or using CM as a stop off for Vietnam ,Cambodia and Laos