On the dark side of Bang Saphan

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
johnny red

Re: On the dark side of Bang Saphan

Post by johnny red » 14 Apr 2014 09:34

does anyone know for sure (in other words my brothers uncle sister said don't count) what the law says in thailand about shooting a thief if you catch him in the act of stealing your belongings in side of your house/ also if you catch him or her outside trying to break in?

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 15 Apr 2014 10:13

red--
It's tempting but I wouldn't shoot a Thai, unless it was life and death. The police would be all over you, I expect. Any opportunity to extort money from you they'll take. Also, the family would probably get into the act, suing you for "wrongful death" or some such thing, demanding huge reparations, which they might get, considering the level of corruption in Thailand. In any case you'd have to hire very expensive lawyers. The laws are twisted here against farangs.

Gets some more experienced opinions, but that's mine.
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 15 Apr 2014 12:24

johnny red wrote:does anyone know for sure (in other words my brothers uncle sister said don't count) what the law says in thailand about shooting a thief if you catch him in the act of stealing your belongings in side of your house/ also if you catch him or her outside trying to break in?
I would get that idea right out of your head.No point in asking what "The Law " is in Thailand.

Why even consider putting your self in that situation? Are your belongings that important,they are replaceable, your life isn't

There are also hundreds of Thais languishing in jails for crimes they did not commit as well as foreigners.

If you intend to stay in this country just chill out and leave the Rambo activities to others however aggrieved you may feel.

buksida

Post by buksida » 15 Apr 2014 14:31

Foreigners are not allowed to own firearms to start with so you'd get busted before you even pulled the trigger!

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 02 May 2014 12:52

One firearm that might be appropriate, and can be owned by farangs (betcha) is a tranquillizing rifle. Such guns are used, for instance in Phuket to control the wild dog population. The latter is an initiative by farangs, so presumably they bought the guns here, and it's the kind of thing (the gun) that would be popular and necessary in Thailand because of the "fucking dogs" (if that isn't redundant). (For reference, I posted this dog program on the BS Forum, and they show the gun in use)

Now...such a "weapon" might come in handy in a situation as recently occurred in Bang Saphan where our Germany buddies were locked into their house by the thieves, and forced to watch while their motorbikes where jimmied and being stolen from the overlook on their porch. The thieves were down there casually hot wiring their motorbikes while they looked up helplessly from above.

Enter the tranquillizer gun. A few shots into the upturned flanks of our wouldbe criminals and in a New York minute they're feeling a bit woozy, but too late. The sleeping drug is already planted. So they either bail out, or crash the motorbike, or fall down and sleep on the property or road someplace, to be apprehended by the Boys-in-Brown (they shake down this town). If the boys are passed out in range of your house, you just take those love handcuffs from the bedroom and hook them up to a tree by the ankles. (You might want to lock the doors from inside before you start firing, since they might be a leetle angry)

---
Yes, such a device might get you in trouble with the BNB. You have to make sure it's a non lethal dose you're firing, that you don't blind anybody, etc. Maybe have an antidote around. Frequently, real firearms can be turned on their owners, and these at least would result only in inebriation, which the average BS farang has a lot of experience with.

You readers might find this idea a bit frivolous, but in truth there's no good solution to the theft problem. I sort the available solutions out as: aggressive, passive-aggressive, and defensive. Aggressive is pretty much ruled out because of the defacto legal status in Tland. Farangs can't own guns or defend their property in anyway that does much damage to a Thai. Your right to aggressive self protection is pretty limited here.

Passive-aggressive are things like computers and motorbikes wired with tracking beacons, so you can follow the thieves to their lair and perhaps get the cops to bust them. Or setting up decoys for theft that can explode with marker dye (as in bank holdups), or simply explode (again, pretty much ruled out 'cause ya don't have no rights).

But probably the only workable solution (due to laziness) will probably be the defensive approach, used in Washington DC in black neighborhoods with the same profile as Bang Saphan, for example--lots of crime and police who don't give a shit. You put serious bars on the windows (not these paper mache iron window ornaments you have now), and a serious fucking door. I don't mean: beef up your existing door. I mean a fucking whole steel door which covers your existing doors and is padalocked up and down to projecting hasps with serious US grade NYC type motorcycle locks. Fortunately, there's not a lot of wood housing in BS, so that's good. You don't have to worry about them poking a hole through the wall.

This is what it will probably come to in BS. It's sad but will become necessary as thefts increase and the Thai economy flounders.

The only other option is to spend a lot of money bribing the police to do their job. If everybody who was worried put up $100 a month, you'd probably get decent protection, but BSers would probably feel insulted by such a proposal--so it's back to ghetto designer doors and windows.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

buksida

Post by buksida » 03 May 2014 11:35

yoursTruly wrote: The only other option is to spend a lot of money bribing the police to do their job. If everybody who was worried put up $100 a month, you'd probably get decent protection,
I have suggested this (100 bucks is probably too much), but a thousand baht each from those that would like the police to do an extra patrol past their place may work. I also notice that since they arrested the person that buys all the stolen goods from the teenage druggies the break-ins have stopped ... for now anyway.

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 04 May 2014 11:09

Good news that they arrested the "fence".

I think the idea of paying them to do an extra patrol is great. It's not something they can take the money and only pretend to do, since they're either out there for everybody to see or not. And coughing up a 1000B a month times, say 10 or 20 is a good piece of change for the BIB, something that will properly motivate them and fair well against competing bribes they might have from the criminal element to look the other way.

Now to follow through on this idea....
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly