On the dark side of Bang Saphan

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
buksida

Re: On the dark side of Bang Saphan

Post by buksida » 08 Apr 2014 08:17

Still doesn't sound right though as they're not going for large appliances, they're in and out quick and take small carryable items that they can sell easily such as laptops, phones and cash (they didnt even take jewelery on the last raid since it was not Thai gold so they knew they couldn't sell it).

Exactly the MO of a teenage gang looking for easy targets to satisfy a drug fix - and Bangsaphan has exactly that.

We have security cameras around the place but they wont help a bit unless the police can be bothered which they obviously cant since this has been going on for years.

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 08 Apr 2014 08:29

Very interesting, Bukky. So we're back to drugs again, perhaps. Well, makes me glad I don't own a house there. A daunting problem. In the US, people finally had to form neighborhood watch groups because the cops were never around.

I remember old Pete getting justice with his robberies only because he was chummy with the BS Police chief. How to motivate the police to do their job is a good question.
"Don't take life too serious. It ain't no ways permanent."
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 08 Apr 2014 13:44

yoursTruly wrote:Very interesting, Bukky. So we're back to drugs again, perhaps. Well, makes me glad I don't own a house there. A daunting problem. In the US, people finally had to form neighborhood watch groups because the cops were never around.

I remember old Pete getting justice with his robberies only because he was chummy with the BS Police chief. How to motivate the police to do their job is a good question.
An endless supply of Johnny Walker might help !

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 08 Apr 2014 18:32

It's how things get done in Thailand, unless you want to be Charles Bronson and go out hunting them on your own (or in packs: "The Senior Vigilantes"). There's a price for being in Thailand: it's cheap and beautiful but you have to pay protection money if you don't want to get ripped off all the time. Either that or buy a safe, or give up your expensive Western goodies. (I always buy cheap but good electronics, eg a $25 Sansa mp3 player, a $290 Asus laptop, a $100 HTC android phone--then, if anything gets ripped off, I don't feel too bad about it).
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

buksida

Post by buksida » 09 Apr 2014 07:18

I wouldn't go as far as to call a laptop an "expensive western goodie", its a tool to get some work done for most! I've gotten into the habit of leaving dummy items laying around, a busted phone or laptop that wont boot, and a few hundred in change. That way if it does happen they'll be in and out quick without trashing the place. Being broken into isnt just about losing a few possessions, it is a major violation of ones own home and privacy.

Believe me - I would go Charles Bronson if I caught any of these little druggie scumbags in my house! I'd also be happy to arrange a whip-round for the police if I thought it would make the slightest difference.

johnny red

Post by johnny red » 09 Apr 2014 08:46

maybe if the BS police department wasn't so busy collecting tea money from business's that hire burmeese ,they would have more time to do their real job. I have always thought that a good 357 was much better than a phone to always too busy police dept...most of us here know damn well who is doing this,but because of relations ..they walk free

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 09 Apr 2014 13:44

buksida wrote:I wouldn't go as far as to call a laptop an "expensive western goodie", its a tool to get some work done for most! I've gotten into the habit of leaving dummy items laying around, a busted phone or laptop that wont boot, and a few hundred in change. That way if it does happen they'll be in and out quick without trashing the place. Being broken into isnt just about losing a few possessions, it is a major violation of ones own home and privacy.
I agree: laptops are pretty essential these days...and getting pretty cheap, which was my point about buying cheapo. Less heartbreak when it goes, cheaper to replace, and maybe even too cheap or beat up looking for the bad boys to bother with.

Another tip: I used to "customize" my new laptops by superglueing pics of myself and my farang and thai friends all over the thing (inside, outside, top, bottom). Makes resale harder so less attractive to steal. Besides, the thief runs the risk that somebody will know one of those farangs or thais glued to it and maybe trace the crime. Anyway: the more personal, the better. I used to also decorate the inside of the laptop with different colored fingernail polish, all the keys too, and write my name in fingernnail polish, phone number (Lola Bungalows) inside (like on the touchpad). By the time I was done, the laptop was a fucking horrorshow of the Personal. The resale price takes a big dive, maybe enough to discourage the thief from taking it in the first place. Likewise you can trash up cell phones and other goodies. Make 'em real personal, real ugly, real FARANG. Who wants to get caught with a computer that's obviously not yours---neither the person that stole it nor a potential buyer. It's obvious to a potential buyer that the seller is a thief, too. At the very least, it's embarassing. So...uglify them! (The thief doesn't probably want to try to scrape everything off with a chisel or try fingernail polish remover on the keys. Ain't worth it. Too much work, and there's a nice new shiny one sitting in the next house).

And remember, part of the attraction of these goodies is that, beyond function, they're lifestyle items, status items--something to make you look cool. After you've painted your computer in puke green and plastered all your ugly farang friends faces over it, it ain't a status item anymore!

-------------

About being invaded, yeah, it sucks, but I don't think it's any farang's right to expect privacy or immunity from theft as a foreign millionaire (as we are in relation to them) in a poor country. That's the due of foreign millionaires everywhere. It's simply the law of the jungle that this kind of shit is going to happen. We have the good luck in Thailand that, beyond theft, they don't want to torture, rape, and kill us in the bargain, as might easily happen in America, Mexico, or Central America. (I'm not saying we don't have the right to hit them in the balls with a baseball bat).

---

Maybe we should all just leave a few grams of yaba outside (maybe in a special "spirit house" to keep away yaba heads--along with a can of red bull?) in exchange for being left in peace. And mix rat poison into the yabba. (then we'll have retarded teenage thieves, which should level the playing field for these Senior Citizens--slow them down a bit)

Just my rabid 2 cents!
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 10 Apr 2014 10:29

PS: I found that superglueing a big picture of my hairy balls on the front of the computer works wonders.

...ok, that's enough out of me.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 13 Apr 2014 05:24

Sorry folks - those, that is, whose property has been done over by the yaba yobos, and not only been bereft of possessions but left with the feeling of your intimacy having been violated. Time to trade in your swanky 4 x 4 or your Harley D. for a bike and adopt one or more of the many abandoned dogs from Headrock Dog Rescue?

Some colourful advice there for the dark side of Bang Saphan Yours Truly ... Faced with a picture of your hairy balls, I'd sure be off like a shot! In view of the non existent garbage collection in BS due to the inadequate tax collection, did you easily get rid of your old personalized laptop by leaving it on the terrace table at night after super-gluing the nail-polished screen to the pukey keyboard and sticking a 3D picture of one of your farang friend's super-sized boobs on top?!

On the “grey side”, some years back, I was strolling along the empty beach in the direction of Bang Krut when, just beyond Deng's, two young boys (possibly to-day's yaba yobbos) appeared from the elegant bamboo fisherman's hut that was later sadly burned to the ground (possibly also by the same yobs), one of whom pulled down his shorts and approached me brazenly while exhibiting his appendage.
My reaction was to laugh out loud and, fixing his mini ooja with my eyes, I asked him how many bahts his shrimp would cost as I was thinking of making Tom Yam for supper and it would go well with the cockles I was collecting along the beach. He looked at me with amazement, apparently put out by the fact that I had not run off screaming, and hobbling with his shorts still round his ankles made a clumsy face-saving retreat with his mate back into the safety of the fisherman's hut!

Far be it for me to suggest that spear-fishing for what could be a couple of giant shrimps by now may be as effective a means as baseball bats for dealing with the yaba yobbos ...

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 13 Apr 2014 08:53

Santi--maybe you misinterpreted your beachman's motives--maybe he was coming on to you, and hoping you'd consider renting his little shrimp for a "short time" in exchange for some yaba cash. (And you laughed at his little shimp. How humiliating!! :(

As I was once (way back in college) a drug connoisseur, the drug choices in Thailand have always interested me. The populace seems to like ice and yaba--speed drugs--power drugs. No chance of getting these guys interested in LSD or Ecstasy. (though I did notice Peyote for sale at Chatuchuck Market here in Bangkok. (I couldn't believe it.)). Seems that Thais like the power rush that comes from speed...Superman for 6 hours or so--a drug of the oppressed. Middle class Americans are busy exploring their minds with psychedelics, and lower class Americans are cranking up on meth. Same, same. I've heard LSD and X are popular with the Bangkok middle and upper classes, which fits in with my theory.

BTW, I'm serious about fucking up ones electronics with pictures and other junk (and painting the keys too). I used to do this with every laptop I ever brought traveling. I haven't done it with the latest because I'm on a lazy streak and the security at my hotel is pretty good, but I think it's a fun and creative exercise. Not too much on effort or materials: get yerself some superglue and nail polish, and get prints of your personal photos (the more faces the better), and start glueing and "polishing". Put glue on top on the pics as well as underneath. I printed up my name, address, and phone number a few times and stuck that on the computer in several easy-to-see places...Let's face it: all that shit has to come off (at least the name/address/phone num) before you can resell that thing.

The basic fact of life is that thieves want to get rid of stuff quickly. Another fact is that there's a damn good chance there won't be many people fucking up their machines in this way, so the thief would just as soon try the next house, where there's probably a pristine computer, as take your freaked out machine.

This is my point about removing all status value from the machine. You're left with only functional value (despite it's ugliness the thing still works), which isn't worth nearly as much. You can have your cake and eat it too, as long as it's an ugly cake nobody else wants to eat.

Look how they customize their cars of Portland, OR. This van is THEFT-PROOF.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 13 Apr 2014 09:05

Santi--

PS: Beach dogs make good throw rugs.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

buksida

Post by buksida » 13 Apr 2014 12:09

This is quite a serious topic so if we can keep the green hazed rantings out of it and stick to the subject matter it would be useful for all.

Yesterday the police apprehended one of the perps and, more importantly, the person who they've been selling the stolen goods to, so if anyone has been broken into and lost items please contact the BSY police dept asap. You may actually get something back.

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 13 Apr 2014 20:53

Good news Buksida – time to relax and enjoy the “laid back” atmosphere of Bang Saphan while it lasts, bearing in mind Yours Truly's footnote motto ...

Following the farang rantings about the local police not caring a hoot about theft of their stuff and protecting the local yobos, the former would do well to bear in mind that, given time for investigation, the latter, too, DO take theft seriously, even if the relative wealth of farangs and their whining may be a motivating factor.

Whilst and where speech is still free, be it agreeable or distasteful according to our respective values, hopefully the same cynics will not be tempted to make allusions to the police taking the pickings before they can be claimed by their rightful owners!

Santi-C

Post by Santi-C » 13 Apr 2014 20:54

In fact, YoursTruly, the reiteration of your advice on your method of avoiding your goodies being whipped is redundant (as is your quip about dogs) – I thought it was a great, original idea, though not one I would want to live with, preferring to avoid an ostentatious life-style and believing that if someone is so desperate to help themselves to stuff (of which I have little but more than the average Thai), they must need it more than I do.

yoursTruly

Post by yoursTruly » 14 Apr 2014 09:02

I apologize if I've offended anybody--I'm not living there any longer, and I'm not getting ripped off, and I don't have to sit up nights thinking about it..

I know it's a serious problem and my advice about "decorating your electronics" was serious too. I think it's *one* way to protect your stuff (there are others, obviously), something that most people either wouldn't think of or would be too lazy to implement. All I know is that I traveled in scruffy guest houses all over Asia for 10 years with my "customized" electronics and never got ripped off.

This is the first thing real estate people say when you want to sell your house: "depersonalize it". Hide all the pictures of Aunt Mary & The Boys, the Balinese masks and Indian wall hangings, the rock posters, take out all the things you put up to make it feel "homey" to you. After this, you'll have made it easier for potential buyer to project their own personal fantasies on a blank space.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly