BS v BK

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
Caller

BS v BK

Post by Caller » 14 Sep 2009 17:19

Guys, Any opinions of the pluses / minuses of holidaying at Ban Krut as opposed to Bang Saphan? As in my post in the accommodation section, the period will be for approx. 4 weeks, maybe more.

Party will consist of me, my Thai wife and step-son.

Thanks

buksida

Post by buksida » 15 Sep 2009 10:22

I'd split the time between the two and have two weeks at each place, they're only 20 minutes drive apart.

BK has a lot more beachfront accommodation to offer and a nicer beach but little else.

BS has a more laid back feel, a proper town, and the island for day trips.

Caller

Post by Caller » 16 Sep 2009 00:28

Thanks Buksi - hadn't thought of that!

This all came about as the wife (currently in LOS) checked hotels in the area and only suggested a few that were in BK!

But I know she would prefer a market near by and other places to see and visit.

Tell me something, say I was staying at Sunrise, where's the nearest bar (apart from resort) and are there any options if I don't want to drive?

buksida

Post by buksida » 16 Sep 2009 08:36

Sunrise has a bar in the resort there but I guess the nearest one outside would be Why Not, about 800 meters walk along the beach. You do really need wheels in BS though as the resort/beach area is a good 6-7km from the town and there are a couple of good bars/eateries there such as Ray's (Tae Restaurant) and the BS Guesthouse.

beenherelongerthanyou

Post by beenherelongerthanyou » 18 Sep 2009 08:53

Caller

BK is for sure the place with more to do and see, if you stay on the beach near town you can walk to many places. Catch the train, bus or hotel taxi to BS for a day trip or two. Be sure as Buksida says to try Rays near the train depot and why not bar is a great spot on the beach. Sunrise is great as well for a nice clean place to stay, they have transportation as well.

Caller

Post by Caller » 26 Sep 2009 02:35

Thanks for all the help, looks like we're staying at Sunrise for a few weeks and will then decide at the end of that period what to do/where to go next - still another 3 weeks to play with!

guess

Post by guess » 10 Oct 2009 18:04

Sorry for the delay in posting but the last three weeks has been quite trouble some for me.

This is my view,

Ban Krut Has
Many more resorts than BS.
Long stretches of unspoiled beach.
Opportunities for sightseeing

Where it lacks in my opinion is that
There are few eateries for farang food. Most of the eating out is done in the resorts
The surrounding countryside is not the most attractive in the area.
There is very little to attract shoppers

Bang Saphan has
Unspoiled beaches
Beautiful surrounding countryside
An ample number of eateries for farang tastes.
High quality good value accommodation
Night Markets

I can't think of anything lacking in BS I would certainly choose BS over BK to live but for a holiday the the best thing to do is to visit both.

There is a small shuttle bus that runs from BS to BK for a small fee and car hire can be obtained in BS quite easily at good prices.

I look forward to your visit.

Caller

Post by Caller » 10 Oct 2009 19:58

guess wrote:I look forward to your visit.
Me too, Guess! And for all the reasons you have stated, we chose BS! :D

We have a month at Sunrise and at the end of that time, we can decide what to do next. We'll have a car to get around with.

Good to hear from you and hopefully your recent problems weren't too serious? I'll contact you by PM nearer the time and hopefully we can meet up.

The Family

Post by The Family » 11 Oct 2009 13:55

Being that you have a car, you will find a number of places to visit in and around Bangsaphan.
ie.. the water falls (about 11km from BS), they are well worth a visit. In the opposite direction, more waterfalls. You also have the caves in BS, the Chinese Temple and as Guess mentioned the Markets. We have a permanent mostly indoor market open daily, which opens before sunrise, sellling most of your fresh fruit, vegetable & meat etc. There are also the temporay Thai markets almost daily at various locations around the town centre. If you need more information on these, please do not hesitate to contact us, but am sure you can get this information through the Sunrise Resort.

BS also has a keep-fit centre, located opposite BS Guest House inside the Chinese Temple.

Bankrut has its own daily market. The temple there is a must, based on top of the hill, the views are spectacular! The beach is beutiful, but, apart from the Resorts there is not much else.

Bangburd (which is about 30mins drive South), has purportedly the biggest "Sand Dune" in the Chumphon Province. Plenty of secluded quiet beaches. :)

Hope this information is of benefit to you and if we can help in anything else, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will probably meet at some point for a bevy at Montri's sometime during your stay! :wink:

Caller

Post by Caller » 12 Oct 2009 03:52

Thanks for the info - yep, will need to share a bevvie or three to get directions to all these places! :)

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 13 Oct 2009 02:26

I'm looking forward to the trip reports when you've found them :)

Caller

Post by Caller » 13 Oct 2009 04:19

Big Boy wrote:I'm looking forward to the trip reports when you've found them :)
Well, I'll certainly have plenty of time to do that - also want to pop down to Chumphon!

migrant

Post by migrant » 18 Oct 2009 06:27

Caller wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I'm looking forward to the trip reports when you've found them :)
Well, I'll certainly have plenty of time to do that - also want to pop down to Chumphon!
We went to Chumphon on a quick trip two years ago and really liked the area. We plan to go again when we head out in 12 days :) :)

I'll let you know what we find since you are going later.

I do remember I was having a craving for a good steak when we were there. We went to Papa 2000 in town, great steak, the Wife and Niece liked the Thai food and I liked the price.