SCORPIONS

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
The Family

SCORPIONS

Post by The Family » 25 Aug 2009 14:22

Thought we would share our experience with you.

Bloody hell!! Lying in bed the other morning, looked up and six inches above my head on the headboard was a scorpion. What a scare!! :? Has anyone else had a similar experience? We did not realise that scorpions could be found in nice clean houses!

For those of you that don't know, after looking up on the internet...Scorpions in Thailand are not poisionous. More a feeling of being stung by a Bee or Wasp. Obviously some people might have an allergic reaction, in the same way as you would with any other nasty bitey thing!!!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 26 Aug 2009 04:01

So what happened to the non-poisonous scorpion?

dewdrop

Scorpions

Post by dewdrop » 27 Aug 2009 17:34

A few years back some land opposite Montri's changed hands and a grotty old bungalow used at the time as a tool shed was knocked down. When it came to breaking the concrete slab serving as a base/floor for the bungalow, the gravel sub-layer was teeming with scorpions, obviously an extended family as all sizes, small to somewhat large, were represented. I've rarely seen Thai builders go so fast!

Apparently, they're a delicacy bar-b-qued, not cheap either.

As for thai scorpions not being poisonous, I don't suggest that the next time you come accross one you tickle its tail - 'Dickie' Attenborough's rule of thumb can be quoted as stating, "big pinchers, small sting; small pinchers, big sting" ...
Last edited by dewdrop on 27 Aug 2009 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

dewdrop

Humane

Post by dewdrop » 27 Aug 2009 19:56

Big Boy wrote:So what happened to the non-poisonous scorpion?
Be safe and go to Lek's for pizza. No scorpions there (maybe a snake or two out front tho').

Re: viewtopic.php?t=169

Big Boy

Re: Humane

Post by Big Boy » 28 Aug 2009 02:34

dewdrop wrote:
Big Boy wrote:So what happened to the non-poisonous scorpion?
Be safe and go to Lek's for pizza. No scorpions there (maybe a snake or two out front tho').

Re: viewtopic.php?t=169
:lol: :lol:

The Family

Post by The Family » 28 Aug 2009 08:24

This experience, was not in the Guest House but at the house we live in about 4km up the road.

The Scorpion was caught and released (thrown) back into the shrub, about 1/2km from the house. We do not believe in killing, if not necessary!!

dewdrop

Post by dewdrop » 29 Aug 2009 05:41

The Family wrote:This experience, was not in the Guest House but at the house we live in about 4km up the road.

The Scorpion was caught and released (thrown) back into the shrub, about 1/2km from the house. We do not believe in killing, if not necessary!!
You do know that Scorpions have a fantastic memory and navigational skills that defy any GPS satellite tech. we may have access to. Half a Km. seems very short a distantance if you're counting on not seeing your 'friend' again, especially if it's started a family somewhere in your habitat (like ceilings, hollow walls, etc.) ...

Have you thought of having a word with the man/woman who sells cooked bugs on the market to see if you haven't found a new stream of income for your business - cooked scorpions are very "recherchés"!?

Hate to say this, but I wouldn't want to stay in a place admitted to host deadly creepy-crawlies...

The Family wrote:We do not believe in killing, if not necessary!!
Nor do I but yer gotta doo wot yer gotta doo :twisted:

>>just an after thought; you didn't throw it in Lek's garden did you?

guess

Re: Scorpions

Post by guess » 31 Aug 2009 08:06

dewdrop wrote:................................I don't suggest that the next time you come accross one you tickle its tail - 'Dickie' Attenborough's rule of thumb can be quoted as stating, "big pinchers, small sting; small pinchers, big sting" ...

Which is why he left nature studies to his brother, David, and continued with his career as an actor. That was probably a line from his next Jurassic Park movie and he was referring to Allosouiri.

The Family are right in stating that Thai scorpions are not deadly poisonous. They all sting in various degrees of acidity no matter what the size of the pincers (or penises come to that).

I get them dossing out in my outhouse late at night. I usually warn people before using it that they may encounter a scorpion if the Tokai hasn't found it first, but on one night I thought it be amusing to let some old boiler that was dossing in my bungalow to use it without warning. She got bitten on the bum. She complained but I told her that she was lucky and it could have picked somewhere more tender.

BTW dewdrop, do you get scorpions in Switzerland?

santabanjo

Post by santabanjo » 01 Sep 2009 11:52

Nearly sat on one on a toilet seat in India. Fortunately, they can't swim against a flush. Still sat nervously, though.

guess

Post by guess » 02 Sep 2009 14:37

Sanatbanjo said

Still sat nervously, though.
How do you think the scorpion felt.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 02 Sep 2009 23:41

guess wrote:
Sanatbanjo said

Still sat nervously, though.
How do you think the scorpion felt.
Rather flush I would think :D