New Makro in Prachuap

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
migrant

New Makro in Prachuap

Post by migrant » 30 Sep 2016 05:22

Had to go to Prachuap yesterday so stopped by the new makro. Place was jammed as expected. You can enter going south on petchkasem, or turn at the lights towards town and a side entrance is there.

I was told by someone in Prachuap it was going to be like the HH makro, but it isn't. It looks like Chumphons, pretty much the same content

Big Boy

Re: New Makro in Prachuap

Post by Big Boy » 30 Sep 2016 07:51

I'm intrigued - aren't they all much of a muchness? How do Chumphon and Hua Hin differ please? Is the difference that big?

Mind you, having said that, we find the Pranburi Makro generally to be bigger/better than Hua Hin, but a little less Farang items e.g. Pranburi never have swede (or at least we've never found it).
Green Army

migrant

Post by migrant » 01 Oct 2016 06:48

Big Boy wrote:I'm intrigued - aren't they all much of a muchness? How do Chumphon and Hua Hin differ please? Is the difference that big?

Mind you, having said that, we find the Pranburi Makro generally to be bigger/better than Hua Hin, but a little less Farang items e.g. Pranburi never have swede (or at least we've never found it).
The biggest difference I see is HH has a lot of Farang items, including the center table with more cheeses and meats. Haven't been to the Pranburi makro in years, but was at Chumphon a month ago.

Still good value on items, and items not found elsewhere in Bang Saphan, just not as many western foods.

buksida

Post by buksida » 01 Oct 2016 10:59

Yes, the Hua Hin Makro is fantastic for the amount of imported items it sells. Unfortunately it is over 3 hours drive from BS.

Makro outlets in other towns are more Thai orientated with their produce.

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 04 Oct 2016 11:53

Makro stores in Chiang mai are different in the stock they carry, they seem to have a policy of trialling new products, mostly imported, before they plunge in and stock all outets.For example at out Hang Dong store they put in a deli section with imported cheeses and meats.Plus extended their bakery items, in bread especially.
Great for the consumer and local restaurants that buy in bulk.
So I guess its a use it or lose it concept.Distance for you guys is a problem maybe a shopping co op between you, on rotation basis, to get up the road to HH

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 11 Oct 2016 09:26

You should form a "foodies" group amongst like minded residents that have some time on their hands and miss their old favourites.
Example in our village in Chiang Mai my wife makes our own organic soy milk,yoghurt and ham.A neighbour makes artisan bread,another has settled into making 7 varieties of cheese.Another has a smoker and makes smoked chicken breast and bacon. We dont sell, retail or wholeseale, as that would involve work permits and a lot of red tape they are just home hobbies and we use the barter (exchange) system. The savings are significant once you have the required equipment and can source the ingredients...just a thought.

migrant

Post by migrant » 13 Oct 2016 06:45

Mike Parker wrote:You should form a "foodies" group amongst like minded residents that have some time on their hands and miss their old favourites.
Example in our village in Chiang Mai my wife makes our own organic soy milk,yoghurt and ham.A neighbour makes artisan bread,another has settled into making 7 varieties of cheese.Another has a smoker and makes smoked chicken breast and bacon. We dont sell, retail or wholeseale, as that would involve work permits and a lot of red tape they are just home hobbies and we use the barter (exchange) system. The savings are significant once you have the required equipment and can source the ingredients...just a thought.
Good idea. It seems we already have a "Alcoholies" group here, making their own homemade brews!!

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » 13 Oct 2016 19:57

Making alcohol is illegal in the Kingdom, making food is not.Both are one of lifes small pleasures !