Bangsaphan Dog Wars

Bangsaphan general discussion and questions.
Big Boy

Bangsaphan Dog Wars

Post by Big Boy » 15 Sep 2016 20:13

Guys, I'm just an outsider looking in here. I visit Bang Saphan very infrequently, but help moderate this forum.

I've been seeing some fairly distressing reports on the Bangsaphan Fans Facebook page. Now, I do not know any of the characters involved.

It seems that one of the dog supporters groups have thrown their toys out of the pram because they've been receiving what amounts to hate mail. I can't determine whether they know the authors of the mail, or the authors are keyboard warriors hiding behind an anonymous pseudonym. If keyboard warriors, they should be aware these nutters are worldwide. If the reaction has been to an anonymous communication, it should be dealt with using the contempt it deserves. These people are wind up artists, and if you react to their writings, they have won, they will feed off it. The only way forward is to ignore them.

If these people are open about it, maybe they should take a step back and think about what they are writing. Yes, there are still dogs wandering about, but if they've been neutered, they are the end of the line, they can't reproduce. You may not see the benefits today, or maybe next year, but these people are doing great work, sterilising them.

If the organisation has thrown in the towel, the situation is going to get progressively worse for you all.

I think you should consider what is happening in your nice little town, and decide as a majority what future you want. Don't let a few, spoil it for the many.
Green Army

Mike Parker

Re: Dog Wars

Post by Mike Parker » 16 Sep 2016 12:06

Well said Big Boy.This is not just a Bangsaphan problem its common throughout the country.
Sterilising is the only humane solution not poisoning or being a key board warrior sniping away at those who are making an effort. Like the regular beach clean ups it takes co operation not confrontation.

NolaK

Post by NolaK » 18 Sep 2016 06:13

Agreed! And thank you for bringing the topic (in a very calm respectful manner) to this forum where we can better express our views, as opposed the small space and limitations of a Facebook wall best suited to brief announcements, not debate. I will not repost my long essay from the BS Fans wall here, as I don't want to keep shoving it off on people, but it is important that we look at the problems other communities which don't have this service and recognize the mathematics of canine reproduction, along with considering the ramifications behind the loss of vaccinations of street/beach dogs.

I should say just hearing police were involved was enough to get me to stop my lesser work on the small stretch of beach I have been been keeping an eye on, so I can certainly understand why anyone else living as a guest in this country would do the same.

Remember, anyone who feels that having a FREE dedicated sterilization/vaccination program in our community is an inconvenience/problematic, just wait a few years. We will all soon learn how problematic it is to NOT have one. I hope any issues can be discussed and worked through to turn things around.

bsb

Post by bsb » 18 Sep 2016 08:17

Nolak, please post it here as many of us (believe it or not) do not do facebook, I for one am very curious

NolaK

Re: Dog Wars - Do the Math

Post by NolaK » 19 Sep 2016 06:21

Okay bsb, by popular demand (ha ha) here are my thoughts on the issue that I originally placed on Facebook. Have fun:

What a loss! Our town as a whole will suffer. When I moved here over 2 years ago I believe that at the time this team had sterilized 5,000 dogs in our region - most female. They have spayed (sterilized) many more since that time.

I am no mathematicians, just a zoologist. Still, follow along if you can: We can be extra cautious and say 2,500 females had been 'snipped' when I arrived. Female Thai dogs average 2 litters per year. Obviously about half are males and many females will die before being of reproductive age. So let us again be cautions and say only 1 female puppy per litter makes it to a breeding age of 1 year. Even then that would have brought 5,000 additional females to our area 2 years ago. Plus there is that original 2,500 = 7,500 unsterilized females, right? And what about last year?

Now add an extra 7,5000 x 2 more new female puppies each to reproduce = 15,000 + that start of 7,5000. Again be optimistic and figure some die needlessly suffering deaths from disease, untreated injury or being unnecessarily born only to get run over while you swerve off the road and crash (all because we had no sterilization program) to try to avoid them. By today we are still in the ballpark of 20,000 more female dogs. But wait! What about all the males being born? Aren't they also running around fighting and being boys? And what about all the vaccinations for pets of poor families and street dogs that have been provided and not cost to us? Did I mention they have also been sterilizing cats on a smaller scale.

You see where I am going here. Our community has benefited massively via prevention of ecological damage, dog bites, accidents and disease. Animal suffering is tremendously decreased. Tourism and other businesses benefit. Surveys show that almost no one comes to Bang Saphan to watch maggots eat open dog wounds.

Heike's team has (had?) the equipment, skill set and drive to do so much more than any others here can or would have ever done. The grass roots style sterilization project was a model example for what could be done at minimum expense and should be a source of community pride - if not national pride!

If you have ever driven around the developing beach areas of Cha Am and others places you have seem the large packs of diseased dogs running around all over, being displaced by people and construction. They appear from everywhere, many with miserable broken bodies of all manner. The reason Bang Sapahn is not like these other places is not because it is a quieter place. Instead it is a quieter place because we had been blessed with not 1 but 2 organizations devoted to helping dogs in out town. By Thailand town standard BS is dog nirvana. We should have embraced it!

Do the math, but first thank Heike, Lyn and others for the apparently thankless gifts they have given to our community, it's health and safety over the past 7 years. I will start. Thank you Hieke, Lyn, the veterinarians, caregivers, volunteers, donors... who gave your tireless efforts on behalf of dogs - and our town!

Anyone who feels that having a FREE dedicated sterilization/vaccination program in our community is an inconvenience/problematic, just wait a few years. You will soon learn how problematic it is to not have one.

bsb

Post by bsb » 20 Sep 2016 08:46

thanks Nolak

bsb

Post by bsb » 20 Sep 2016 08:49

actually thanks to Nolak for opening some peoples eyes and thanks a lot to heike, lyn and Thep for all they have done
to control the dog population as well as care for these dogs and try to find them good homes

heikevie

Re: Bangsaphan Dog Wars

Post by heikevie » 24 Sep 2016 07:06

Thank you very much for your kindly and very informative words regarding the situation of the stray dogs population in Bangsaphan area.
We currently stopped only the dog help in Suan Luang until the situation has calmed down. Now we have to wait until the rainy season is over because the risk of a wound infection of just neutered free running dogs is very high, if they contact with water. For such dogs and cats which have owners and we can check the wound we continue our work now. If a female dog is in heat, we can make an exception and keep them after surgery in our new animal clinic for 7 days.
Thanks for your understanding
Heike