Suchart Tours fishing trip

Koh Talu, beaches, temples, waterfalls, caves, markets and all local attractions, activities and events.
SPONSORS: Bangsaphan Motorbike Rentals
migrant

Suchart Tours fishing trip

Post by migrant » 06 Jan 2016 10:15

A couple guys I have gotten to know invited me to go fishing yesterday. They had one of their wive's (Thai) call Suchart boat tours down where the fishing boats are. Included in the ~7 hour trip was fishing, a little snorkeling at the end if we wanted, rods, bait, lures, lunch, snorkel gear (no fins) and water/soda, we brought our own adult beverage. The initial quote for the three of us was 5,000 bt which, very quickly, came down to 3,000 bt to which we agreed.

We met at their pier side office at 7, and left maybe 7:45 on a beautiful, calm Tuesday.

The boat was about 40-45 feet long, seats along the sides and a full canopy top, no head. First stop was up against this side of Koh Thalu. The captain said we were going to get bait fish, then go for the larger ones further out. He had a standard rod rigged with 5 small jigs and proceeded to cast and pull. We all did some of that and ended up with only about 8 of the 6-8 inch fish.

We went to the backside of the island and did the same thing, getting another 8, or so. "Go for big fish" Khun Supchart said

We went out further from Koh Thalu than the distance from the mainland to the island (make sense?) and the fishing began.

The Captain said we would Thai fish, like many of the commercial fisherman. This consisted of a styrofoam float painted orange on one end, and the other attached to about 30-40 feet fishing line. The captain attached a ~2 inch cubed piece of styrofoam about 8 inches from the bottom of the float. The idea being the little piece will cause the float to lay down on the water, but any fish strike would crush the little piece of styro and cause the float to stand up. No wonder there is so much styrofoam on the beaches!
photo (3).JPG
Laying flat
photo (3).JPG (26.25 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
photo (2).JPG
Excited after a strike
photo (2).JPG (26.94 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
He put out 6 floats and we then waited about an hour (beverage time!). We got visited by a couple friends of the captains showing off the large fish they caught using the same technique and they gave us some more bait fish. It was a dead calm day at that point
photo (4).JPG
Calm! Note the distance from Koh Thalu, we were a ways out!
photo (4).JPG (17.44 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
No luck here so we pulled up the lines and moved closer to the island. We dropped in about 8 lines and after 10 minutes one of the styrofoam floats was standing up like, well never mind you get the idea. We went over and pulled up a good size fish, called a King Fish by the captain. It looked like a bonito to me and was around 5 kilo
photo (1).JPG
Nice fish!
photo (1).JPG (37.64 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
photo.JPG
Next to my size 13 foot
photo.JPG (31.28 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
After another hour, no more luck so we went to another spot fishing traditionally with lures, and the jigs. Some small bait fish, but nothing of size. BTW I got yelled at for not bringing home some of the bait fish, Mrs m and MIL both love to eat them, but too small for me.

Finally packed it in and we cruised to the back side of Koh Thalu following the coastline around to the front. The trash on the backside was piled up deep, would take a month of Mondays for our Trash Heroes to clean!

At the front the Capt offered us 10-20 minutes snorkel time but at that point we declined. I love snorkeling, and diving, but realized I did not bring my prescription mask so any dive would probably have me reaching my hand into a moray thinking it a clownfish!

Back to the dock at around 3:00.

Some comments - This was not the fishing i expected, but it was very interesting (and relaxing!) (didn;t interfere with the adult beverages either). I would do again, but probably spend the float waiting time doing more traditional fishing.

The Captain, Khun Suchart himself, was great, good natured and, even without much English, able to communicate.

So for the 3 of us the total was 3,000 bt for the entire boat, 1,000 each.

The fish was excellent! We filleted it up back at home and got 4 large bags of meat, one of bones, scraps for soup, and a bag with the head, tail that no one used.

We took one bag of the meat (pretty much equal so 1/4 of the meat) and cooked it up for dinner, fantastic! Enough for 3 with about the same amount left over.

Will repeat as I mentioned.

buksida

Re: Suchart Tours fishing trip

Post by buksida » 06 Jan 2016 12:27

Let me know next time, will come with you - beats hanging around the coastline catching nothing!

migrant

Post by migrant » 06 Jan 2016 16:55

Will do!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 07 Jan 2016 11:06

A couple of questions please (I'm obviously interested, and would feel safer in the company of other Farangs):

1. You say the styrofoam floats were set. Were you responsible for your own rig, or was it a free for all when a fish struck? If a free for all, how was it decided who went first etc?

2. You say, "This was not the fishing i expected, but it was very interesting (and relaxing!) (didn;t interfere with the adult beverages either). I would do again, but probably spend the float waiting time doing more traditional fishing." What do you mean by 'more traditional fishing' please? I was quite an accomplished deep sea fisherman in the UK, and what you describe does not sound like fishing to me either.

The reason I ask is because my only experience of sea fishing here was on a Hua Hin Forum jolly aboard Mermaid Cruises Peacock. The trip included 30 minutes fishing. Most people did what the crew told them, and didn't have a bite. I used the method I always used when in the UK, and landed 2 tiddlers, and had quite a few other bites. In 30 minutes, I thought that was quite good. OK, Thai methods might work for the big fish, but as a non-drinker, I'd like to think there was something more to do than watching a piece of styrofoam. Would my UK methods get in the way of the Thai fishing?

3. You say that you caught fish for bait. Were these fish used as live bait, or cut up into slices for bait?

[Edit] One more question........... When you intend doing more traditional fishing, whose gear will you use? The boat's or your own?

Sorry, and one more................ what is the capacity of the boat? You are already 4 with buksi (6 if that includes his boys). I'd probably come with a friend - would that mean a second boat?
Green Army

buksida

Post by buksida » 07 Jan 2016 11:49

I've done the trip many times before and fished with a lump of squid or shrimp on a wire trace with a small weight. No monsters but caught plenty of smaller stuff.

The boat is big enough for about ten, the more that go the cheaper it gets. We took our own gear but they have rods and tackle on-board.

migrant

Post by migrant » 07 Jan 2016 12:51

Big Boy wrote:A couple of questions please (I'm obviously interested, and would feel safer in the company of other Farangs):

1. You say the styrofoam floats were set. Were you responsible for your own rig, or was it a free for all when a fish struck? If a free for all, how was it decided who went first etc?

The Captain did this, we went along with it, but I am sure he would follow our lead. Since there were only the 3 of us, all together, we shared the fish.

2. You say, "This was not the fishing i expected, but it was very interesting (and relaxing!) (didn;t interfere with the adult beverages either). I would do again, but probably spend the float waiting time doing more traditional fishing." What do you mean by 'more traditional fishing' please? I was quite an accomplished deep sea fisherman in the UK, and what you describe does not sound like fishing to me either.

Traditional in the respect I believe you are used to, private rods, bait your own, etc. There were 4 rods and as we waited we just picked them up and used them. I am sure we could do more of an assigned routine!!

The reason I ask is because my only experience of sea fishing here was on a Hua Hin Forum jolly aboard Mermaid Cruises Peacock. The trip included 30 minutes fishing. Most people did what the crew told them, and didn't have a bite. I used the method I always used when in the UK, and landed 2 tiddlers, and had quite a few other bites. In 30 minutes, I thought that was quite good. OK, Thai methods might work for the big fish, but as a non-drinker, I'd like to think there was something more to do than watching a piece of styrofoam. Would my UK methods get in the way of the Thai fishing?

No other than if you were line fishing and we decided to pull the floats and move, but that is similar to regular fishing anyway. Even if the float caught a fish, the Captain was in no rush to grab it, we followed for a while. Total fishing time, including jigging for bait, was probably 4 hours. If we did just fishing, no snorkeling, maybe add 30 minutes to it

3. You say that you caught fish for bait. Were these fish used as live bait, or cut up into slices for bait?

They were used live, hooked through the dorsal fin and stayed alive.

[Edit] One more question........... When you intend doing more traditional fishing, whose gear will you use? The boat's or your own?

Mine is in California waiting to go on the container. One of the guys brought his own rod, and tackle, but never used it opting for the provided ones instead.

Sorry, and one more................ what is the capacity of the boat? You are already 4 with buksi (6 if that includes his boys). I'd probably come with a friend - would that mean a second boat?
As Buksi said 10 would work. If all were traditional fishing the canopy holders are a bit of a pain, but manageable. The seats run tight against the gunwales so, other than the bow (and the small freeboard walls) you would sit on the seats and swivel (you, not the seat) between the canopy holders.

Not sure how many boats, or what configurations, he has, but can pop down with the missus and check if you are interested, it's pretty close.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 07 Jan 2016 17:17

I'm definitely interested, as is a friend. I've made a couple more comments/asked questions in blue below:
migrant wrote:
Big Boy wrote:A couple of questions please (I'm obviously interested, and would feel safer in the company of other Farangs):

The Captain did this, we went along with it, but I am sure he would follow our lead. Since there were only the 3 of us, all together, we shared the fish.

I would stay in Bang Saphan 2 nights, so it wouldn't be practical for me to take any of the catch - you would be welcome to my share - I'm not really a fish eater anyway.

Traditional in the respect I believe you are used to, private rods, bait your own, etc. There were 4 rods and as we waited we just picked them up and used them. I am sure we could do more of an assigned routine!!
Can you clarify what you mean by 'we waited we just picked them up and used them'? Do you mean you had a rod each, and 1 spare? Or do you mean there were 4 rods cast out, and whoever was fastest grabbed it if there was a bite? Incidentally, how many 'big' fish did you collectively catch that day?

No other than if you were line fishing and we decided to pull the floats and move, but that is similar to regular fishing anyway. Even if the float caught a fish, the Captain was in no rush to grab it, we followed for a while. Total fishing time, including jigging for bait, was probably 4 hours. If we did just fishing, no snorkeling, maybe add 30 minutes to it

So were you drifting over a flat bottom, or were you drifting over rough ground/reef? I'm assuming you were drift fishing because of the 'we followed it for a while' statement.

Mine is in California waiting to go on the container. One of the guys brought his own rod, and tackle, but never used it opting for the provided ones instead.
Would it have been possible to use the boat's gear for 'traditional fishing'? I only use my personal gear for fresh water, and I don't believe in mix and match, so will I need to buy a set of sea fishing gear? If yes, any idea what spec? No worries if you don't have a spec - it would be fun to just turn up on spec and do it Thai style first anyway.

As Buksi said 10 would work. If all were traditional fishing the canopy holders are a bit of a pain, but manageable. The seats run tight against the gunwales so, other than the bow (and the small freeboard walls) you would sit on the seats and swivel (you, not the seat) between the canopy holders.
LOL - obviously English/American use of the word :oops: . What is a canopy holder please?

Not sure how many boats, or what configurations, he has, but can pop down with the missus and check if you are interested, it's pretty close.
Basically, just give me a date, and if available, I'll be there. Maybe a + 1.

Saturday, Sunday and Monday are the worst days for me (football and hospital appointments tend to fall on those days).

As I said, I would travel the day before, and because sea fishing usually tires me out, I would crash out before the journey home the next morning.
Green Army

migrant

Post by migrant » 07 Jan 2016 19:36

Big Boy wrote:I'm definitely interested, as is a friend. I've made a couple more comments/asked questions in blue below:

Sounds great! May run out of colors to answer!
migrant wrote:

I would stay in Bang Saphan 2 nights, so it wouldn't be practical for me to take any of the catch - you would be welcome to my share - I'm not really a fish eater anyway.

It will go to good use!!

Can you clarify what you mean by 'we waited we just picked them up and used them'? Do you mean you had a rod each, and 1 spare? Or do you mean there were 4 rods cast out, and whoever was fastest grabbed it if there was a bite? Incidentally, how many 'big' fish did you collectively catch that day?

There were 4 rods and 3 of us so we just grabbed one when we wanted to. We didn't cast them out and let them stay, we did that with the styro floats. While we waited on floats we would fish a little with the rods as desired. It wasn't an assigned rod per person, probably since only 3 of us, but we could each pick a rod on the next trip

So were you drifting over a flat bottom, or were you drifting over rough ground/reef? I'm assuming you were drift fishing because of the 'we followed it for a while' statement.

There were no snags so possibly flat bottom, but I'm not sure

Would it have been possible to use the boat's gear for 'traditional fishing'? I only use my personal gear for fresh water, and I don't believe in mix and match, so will I need to buy a set of sea fishing gear? If yes, any idea what spec? No worries if you don't have a spec - it would be fun to just turn up on spec and do it Thai style first anyway.

No problem using the boats gear, but I will see what amount of gear he has

LOL - obviously English/American use of the word :oops: . What is a canopy holder please?

Basically, just give me a date, and if available, I'll be there. Maybe a + 1.

Great!

Saturday, Sunday and Monday are the worst days for me (football and hospital appointments tend to fall on those days).

As I said, I would travel the day before, and because sea fishing usually tires me out, I would crash out before the journey home the next morning.
Ok I'll get with Buksi and others and we can start planning

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 08 Jan 2016 10:29

My friend isn't allowed 2 nights away, so only me :D
Green Army

buksida

Post by buksida » 13 Jan 2016 10:09

996782_546919358799011_2876181129682202550_n.jpg
This was a last minute planned trip so sorry we didnt let you know Neal, we maybe going again next week though.

Hard to believe this was caught on a trap made out of a coke bottle:
sailfish.jpg
sailfish.jpg (119.18 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
Saw a couple of them jumping, so big fish are still out there behind the island.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » 15 Jan 2016 09:12

No problem, I'd probably need at least a week's notice though. Actually I'd have probably declined at the moment - one of Terry's fish did my back in about 2 weeks ago, and I'm still suffering a bit. It was only about 12Kg, but I'd foul hooked it. If you've ever foul hooked a big fish, you'll understand that it makes them feel 3 times heavier.
Green Army